The Official RONR Q & A Forums

committee recommendations as motions

Guest david

in my last meeting it was pronounced [according to RRoR] that the recommendation of a committee comes forward as a motion, and does not need a second. this makes a good bit of sense, insofar as a committee can presume that a member of the committee is willing to second the recommendation.

my question is whether this is true of "all committees" or only "standing committee." the rule would not seem as logical for exploratory committees, search committees, etc.

opinions?

in my last meeting it was pronounced [according to RRoR] that the recommendation of a committee comes forward as a motion, and does not need a second. this makes a good bit of sense, insofar as a committee can presume that a member of the committee is willing to second the recommendation.

my question is whether this is true of "all committees" or only "standing committee." the rule would not seem as logical for exploratory committees, search committees, etc.

opinions?

If the committee is composed of more than one person, no second is required.

OK, I'm 'bumping' this thread, in hopes of some additional input on the question of p. 36 vs. p. 507. I think Guest_david should be coming back and nagging, but he isn't...

Since p. 507 specifically mentions the recommendations of committees, which is what David asked about in the first place, I would think the citation is directly applicable.

Does the rule on p. 36 not apply to recommendations of committees? It speaks of a 'motion made by direction of a board or duly appointed committee of the the assembly' -- it sounds like that would cover committee recommendations, but maybe I'm missing something

OK, I'm 'bumping' this thread, in hopes of some additional input on the question of p. 36 vs. p. 507. I think Guest_david should be coming back and nagging, but he isn't...

Since p. 507 specifically mentions the recommendations of committees, which is what David asked about in the first place, I would think the citation is directly applicable.

Does the rule on p. 36 not apply to recommendations of committees? It speaks of a 'motion made by direction of a board or duly appointed committee of the the assembly' -- it sounds like that would cover committee recommendations, but maybe I'm missing something

What is said on page 36, lines 15-23 assumes (as does the paragraph on p. 507, ll. 4-19) that the reporting member is a member of the assembly. Lines 20-29 on page 507 deal with situations in which this is not the case.

I think clarity would be added by carefully considering that only a MEMBER has a right to make a motion, and the rules must be suspended to allow a nonmember to do so. The rules pertaining to the recommendation of a board or committee relate only to a SECOND not being necessary, since a second guides the chairman by the fact that more than one person wants to see the motion considered. Those rules do not nullify the rule that a motion must be made by a member.

I think clarity would be added by carefully considering that only a MEMBER has a right to make a motion, and the rules must be suspended to allow a nonmember to do so. The rules pertaining to the recommendation of a board or committee relate only to a SECOND not being necessary, since a second guides the chairman by the fact that more than one person wants to see the motion considered. Those rules do not nullify the rule that a motion must be made by a member.

Thanks. My confusion came from reading the material on p. 36 ll. 15-24 on its own (and I think it is potentially confusing when read stand-alone). Lo and behold, when I finally turned back to the previous page, I realized it was all in the context of the section heading: SECONDING A MOTION. Duhhh....

Archived