The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignation letter during election meeting?

dadprez

I am new to this forum. One Board of Trustee has a two years term but he already served one year so far. He decided to tell all members during Election meeting that he wanted to be a Treasurer. Later he won that position by ALCU. Is he required to give a secretary his resignation letter during Election meeting? We argued over this issue. I was told that he did not have to submit a letter during election meeting. We have a small organization that usually have bimonthly Regular meetings and monthly Board of Governors meetings. As president, I can keep him as an interim Treasurer till Regular meeting then I will ask all members to accept his belated resignation as Board of Trustee in order to become a Treasurer, right? Or Have a secretary to read his resignation letter to the members for their acceptance. Please be advised.

Thanks

RONR places no explicit restriction on a person holding two positions on a Board. There are a couple pairings which potentially cause some problems, particularly as President & Vice President, and President & Secretary. The advisability of one person being both a Trustee and the Treasurer is something the assembly will need to consider.

RONR also places no requirement on resigning from one position to "run for", or be elected to, another position. Any such requirement would be found in your bylaws or other governing documents. Is it?

Is your Treasurer position also a Board position (likely as ex-officio)? It is not nessessarily a given that an officer is also a Board member, although that may be more the norm than not. Your bylaws will hold the answer to that question.

And...... what does ALCU mean?

RONR has no rule against a person serving in two positions simultaneously. Under those rules there's no problem with the person being treasurer while still holding the office of trustee. Incidentally, RONR has no concept of 'interim treasurer' -- as soon as the election result was announced, the person became the (official, for-real) treasurer.

Archived