The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Secretary being recognized by Chair

Chris Harrison

If the Secretary wishes to enter into debate on a question or seeks recognition for another reason would it be permitted for him to ask another member to take the minutes for anything that may transpire when he has the floor (Points of Order, rulings, etc)? Or would it be necessary to seek the assembly's permission to do so?

No I don't think the Secretary himself can make such an appointment based on any rule in RONR. So the assembly would elect one (probably the first crazy person to volunteer).

I agree.

I'm assuming your question is purely theoretical, because I just can't see it happening in real life.

It wasn't purely rhetorical though I agree it probably would happen very infrequently. I could imagine it happening if the Secretary knew he was going to say something that was going to cause a ruckus with Points of Orders, rulings, and possibly Appeals coming shortly after and he wants the wording of the Point and ruling to be recorded verbatim in the minutes in order to show it to the parent assembly or some other body.

Archived