The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Membership Renewal

Guest Irene

Is a club "required" to accept all membership renewals? If the answer is No, then is the procedure as simple as a motion by the board to decline that renewal? The current by-laws do not address this issue, nor are there any policies or procedures in place.......at this time (it is being worked on).

My club has two similar renewals to consider. In both cases, there have been serious problems caused to the club by these members. There are many in the club who do not want these members back. In fact, one of the members in question filed a lawsuit, which was dismissed. So, reasons to not accept the renewals can be listed.

How would a membership renewal be handled if it is a dual or household membership, with only one person of the surname being the problematic one?

I have heard, but cannot find documentation, that years ago our club "sent back" membership renewals, so there may be a precedent. Lacking information as why and how those were not accepted, I am more concerned about doing something right.

Thanks!

Is a club "required" to accept all membership renewals?

Yes, unless the Bylaws provide otherwise.

My club has two similar renewals to consider. In both cases, there have been serious problems caused to the club by these members. There are many in the club who do not want these members back. In fact, one of the members in question filed a lawsuit, which was dismissed. So, reasons to not accept the renewals can be listed.

Unless your Bylaws provide otherwise, you can't just refuse to let members pay their dues as a backdoor to disciplinary procedures. You'll need to follow proper disciplinary procedures to remove the members. Check your Bylaws, or see Section 63 of RONR if your Bylaws are silent on this issue.

How would a membership renewal be handled if it is a dual or household membership, with only one person of the surname being the problematic one?

The same way as any other renewal - the dual or household membership pays its dues. You can't kick people out by refusing to let them pay their dues.

As to how you deal with discipline for such a type of member, RONR doesn't address this issue, since in RONR membership is individual. It will be up to your organization to interpret its own Bylaws.

I have heard, but cannot find documentation, that years ago our club "sent back" membership renewals, so there may be a precedent.

Well, all this may mean is that your club horribly violated the rights of its members years ago. Unless your Bylaws provide otherwise, members may only be expelled through formal disciplinary procedures - you can't just refuse to let them pay their dues for renewal. The fact that your society has trampled the rights of its members in the past doesn't make it any more acceptable now.

I am more concerned about doing something right.

Then follow the formal disciplinary procedures in your Bylaws (or in Section 63 of RONR if your Bylaws are silent) so that the rights of the accused are protected.

Archived