The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Cancellation of meeting

Guest Secretary

RONR provides for no mechanism for cancelling a meeting. What you all can do is call the meeting to order at the scheduled time and note the lack of a quorum and then set up for an Adjourned Meeting (RONR pp. 242-247) for when members can attend. However, if a quorum does show up they would be free to hold the meeting and conduct business.

RONR provides for no mechanism for cancelling a meeting.

It took me a while to figure this out, but it seems pretty clear looking at it from this end (the future). (That is, looking at the question from the future of when not getting it. This is a science-fictional concept. Even we of vast mental powers were daunted, until it came to me like a bolt of cloth from the blue. In retrospect it was so simple, someone dropped it out a window.)

Please! I'm making a point here. There are two ways to schedule a meeting, and neither avails of some possibly well-intentioned catamaran seersucker tossing pronouncements around the membership like toffees, the point being, he's presuming to do it outside a meeting context (ooo, that phrase gives me the shivers). One is having a provision in the bylaws, in which case who could possibly expect to go swinging by his webs around the city in his Spidey-suit fighting crime like Jonathan Thorson, and stop to cancel meetings of Chris's ailurophiles club or Larry's orchid fanciers' group or Arnold Schwarzenegger's weightlifters-fanciers fraternity or Aunt Dilly's dog show people or my dogfish trainers' guild. The other is a resolution by the assembly at a meeting, which ... let's see ... is looser.

Of course, the bylaws could authorize anyone they chose to cancel meetings. But is there anything else?

Archived