The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Maker of Motion voting against motion

Guest Denise LG

I am looking for information in RONR that indicates that the maker of motion must vote for his/her motion. I have located where mover must speak on his m otion and may ask to withdraw his motion if he changes his mind on the motion he passed, However I was under the impression that mover, if motion remained on the floor for a vote, that he had to vote for the motin.

I am looking for information in RONR that indicates that the maker of motion must vote for his/her motion. I have located where mover must speak on his m otion and may ask to withdraw his motion if he changes his mind on the motion he passed, However I was under the impression that mover, if motion remained on the floor for a vote, that he had to vote for the motin.

The reason you have had trouble finding it is because it isn't there. Even the maker of the motion can vote against it, perhaps after debate has persuaded him to do so.

You were under the wrong impression. A voter may vote how he wishes, even the maker of the motion.

It is also untrue that 'the mover must speak on his motion' -- the maker of the motion gets the first chance to speak in debate, and, if he chooses to speak, cannot speak in opposition to his own motion.

Even the maker of the motion can vote against it, perhaps after debate has persuaded him to do so.

It is also possible that, after making a motion, a member may be convinced during the debate that passing the motion is a bad idea.

Well, I'm glad that's cleared up. And without the need to impose a value-added tax.

Archived