The Official RONR Q & A Forums

ballot vs. open discussion

Guest Jean marvin

I am on the board of an antique car club. One of our board members is concerned about speaking her opinion and is asking to vote by paper ballot on all issues. I think this is counterproductive, and would prefer open discussion. How can we avoid having to do this for her, just because of her own timidity? Seems foolish.

I am on the board of an antique car club. One of our board members is concerned about speaking her opinion and is asking to vote by paper ballot on all issues. I think this is counterproductive, and would prefer open discussion. How can we avoid having to do this for her, just because of her own timidity? Seems foolish.

It's not up to any one member (i.e. not you, not her) to determine the method of voting. It's up to the assembly (i.e. the board) as a whole. And when you talk about debate and voting, you're talking apples and oranges. The debate can be as open as anyone wishes and you can still vote by ballot if the assembly thinks that will result in the truest expression of the members' views on the question. You might be surprised when, after a vigorous debate with all the noise on one side, the other side prevails.

Generally speaking, most votes are taken by voice vote. (RONR 11th Ed. p. 409 ll.27-28) In smaller assemblies such as a board, a raised hand vote works well. (RONR 11th Ed. p. 409 ll. 34-35) To vote by ballot requires only a majority vote (RONR 11th Ed. p. 284 l.11) , and unless she has a majority on her side, you'll probably stay with the voice or raised hand or whatever you normally do.

But while voting may be a way of expressing an opinion, it isn't the method of "speaking" your opinion, which occurs during debate on the motion. And while there's no guarantee, one could reasonably assume a member who speaks in favor of a motion will vote for it, and those who speak against it will vote against it. And maybe you don't want to give away your vote by speaking your mind. However, it is during this (out loud) debate phase that converts can be made, even turning the maker of a motion to vote against it. This is the part of the process that puts the deliberative into deliberative assembly. (and a Board is such a thing)

And if you aren't going to be part of that process (the deliberation), it makes little sense to be on a Board (a deliberative assembly). No, there's no obligation on a member's part (per RONR) to join in debate, but given the chance, why wouldn't you?

Archived