The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Interpretation of Tellers Report

sandib

Confused ( and obviously dense). RONR 11th, pg.416,line27 states that ballots by persons not intitled to vote are excluded in computing the majority. Yet on pg. 417, line 24 TELLERS' REPORT, the number used to compute the majority, included the 7 votes for Mr. Friend (ineligible). I am assuming that (ineligible) means Mr. Friend was not eligible for the position for which he received 7 votes, not that the 7 votes were cast by ineligible voters.

Am I correct ? Have I confused anyone else?

Here, look at the numbers, on the bottom of p. 417. 97 votes, legitimate votes, were cast, excluding any cast by, say, non-members, as p. 416, lines 27 - 30 says. Now here are the candidates without problems:

Miller .... 51

Wilson /// 24

Strong ... 14

total .... 89

So 89 votes for those three, out of the 97, leaves 8 more to account for. Friend (illegible) gets seven, mis-folded are 1. So it adds up. There's no room for any seven ineligible voters, or for any, for that matter.

(Now watch me zing cancelling meetings, in a nearby thread, at 2 in the morning.)

Confused ( and obviously dense). RONR 11th, pg.416,line27 states that ballots by persons not intitled to vote are excluded in computing the majority. Yet on pg. 417, line 24 TELLERS' REPORT, the number used to compute the majority, included the 7 votes for Mr. Friend (ineligible). I am assuming that (ineligible) means Mr. Friend was not eligible for the position for which he received 7 votes, not that the 7 votes were cast by ineligible voters.

Am I correct ?

Yes, this is correct. Ballots which were clearly cast by persons not entitled to vote would not be included in the tellers' report - they would be ignored the same as blanks.

Am I correct ? Have I confused anyone else?

I'm not sure what you're confused about... and I'm not convinced that you're dense. :)

Archived