The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Please school me on "move previous question"

Guest Guest

I've not been able to find a layman's description that I can lay my hands on and wrap my head around. Thanks all!

If a member wants to end debate on the pending question or questions, he can obtain the floor and say, "I move the Previous Question." If it is seconded, the chair immediately puts it to a vote without any debate. It requires a two-thirds vote to adopt the Previous Question. If it receives that vote, any motion to which it applies is put to an immediate vote, thereby ending debate, amendment, and the making of certain other subsidiary motions.

In summary: Sometimes a few members gab on and on about a motion, and the rest of the assembly can shut them up and get on with the vote by ordering the Previous Question.

The motion to move The Previous Question, is a motion that "orders" the end of all debate and directs the chair to put the "immediate pending" motion to a vote. It can be applied to a single question or a series of questions that are pending.

Some times it's refers to as "Calling the Question."

The motion to move The Previous Question, is a motion that "orders" the end of all debate and directs the chair to put the "immediate pending" motion to a vote. It can be applied to a single question or a series of questions that are pending.

Some times it's refers to as "Calling the Question."

Okay. This adds to my knowledge base. Thank you.

Archived