The Official RONR Q & A Forums

immediate past president

cam

Person A was elected president in 2010

Person B was elected president in 2011

Person B was re-elected president in 2012

Who is the immediate past president?

RONR does not define the term "immediate past president" nor attach any significance to it. If your organization's Bylaws give some position to the IPP, it will ultimately up to your organization to interpret its own Bylaws. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 588-591 for some Principles of Interpretation.

The simple dictionary definition of the words, however, suggest that the IPP is the person who was present immediately prior to the current president, which in this instance would be Person A.

And while you are pondering the IPP, think on this...

In my personal view, setting up an "official" Immediate Past President (IPP) position is not a particularly good idea. The most telling argument is the real possibility of a close and bitter race for the presidency, with the current president running (for a second term) against an "outsider". And the outsider - the "reform candidate", perhaps - wins but is still stuck with the thorn of the IPP on the Board in a position to snipe at the new president. And perhaps attempt to undermine the new president's plans.

If the erstwhile president is a "good guy" the new president can (usually, depending on the bylaws) appoint him to a pre-existing committee - or even have him chair one, which might put him on the Board - as the new president sees fit. That way the IPP's experience and value can be put to good use, when needed, without the danger of setting up an adversarial situation which would require a bylaw amendment to get out of.

Here's some more reasons

1) The President resigns and wants nothing to do with the organization.

2) The President simply doesn't run for election again because he's had enough, and never shows up at a board meeting.

3) The President is booted out of office for being incompetent, or for something more nefarious.

4) The President dies.

5) The President resigns and moves (wants to help but isn't around).

6) Even worse is the bylaw assignment of the IPP to chair a committee - such as nominating. Then he dies/quits/leaves town, &c. You are then stuck with an unfillable (by definition) vacancy.

Person A was elected president in 2010

Person B was elected president in 2011

Person B was re-elected president in 2012

Who is the immediate past president?

To answer you question specifically, Person is would still be the Immediate Past President as he/she is the most recent person who is no longer President. However, JDStackpole has made a great thread about the issue of the Immediate Past President that the organization is worth considering.

Person A continues to serve as IPP; however, if something were to happen to A, the person who served as President before A is not elidgible to serve in the office of IPP in his stead, unless the bylaws provide otherwise. Check your Demeter.

Referring to other parliamentary authorities on the RONR Forum is likely to invoke The Wrath. :)

Referring to other parliamentary authorities on the RONR Forum is likely to invoke The Wrath. :)

RONR p. 16 - 17, ll 29 - 3: "In matters on which an organization's adopted parliamentary authority is silent, provisions found in other works on parliamentary laws may be persuasive- that is, they carry weight in absence of overriding reasons for following a different course - but they are not binding on the body."

RONR p. 16 - 17, ll 29 - 3: "In matters on which an organization's adopted parliamentary authority is silent, provisions found in other works on parliamentary laws may be persuasive- that is, they carry weight in absence of overriding reasons for following a different course - but they are not binding on the body."

That's certainly true, but you should also keep this quote in mind: "The Question and Answer Forum is provided to allow an open exchange of views relevant to specific questions of parliamentary procedure under Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised." (Introduction to Question & Answer Forum)

Check your Demeter.

Me: My gas mileage seems to be lower than advertised on my new car. :angry:

Mechanic: Check your Demeter

Me: Recently I've been feeling a bit sluggish and occasionally dizzy. :wacko:

Dr: Check your Demeter

Me: Honey, lately you don't seem to be interested in .... well, you know. :wub:

She: Check your Demeter

This has now become a favorite catch phrase of mine. I'm sure my non-parliamentarian friend will think I've gone off my meds. :huh:

This has now become a favorite catch phrase of mine.

Parked parliamentarian looks anxiously at watch thinking it might be time to check Demeter.

Jealous parliamentarian husband asks wife who the strange man in the basement is. Wife says he's just there to check Demeter.

Small organization asks parliamentarian if he charges by the hour. No, he says, by Demeter.

To answer you question specifically, Person is would still be the Immediate Past President as he/she is the most recent person who is no longer President.

Not tremendously illuminating! ;)

I thought this was a pretty inspired omission :lol: .

Darn, I don't have time to read all the Demeter quips -- hopefully they'll still be there later, but you never know.

Well while you all were checking yourselves.....Our Immediate past president (in my experience) is nothing more than a title and the new president's "go to person" in the need of help. Also a respected person with past experience.

SO as far as a title goes, Person A and B are both past presidents and really BOTH are past presidents. I would honestly let the two decide who will have the title for the year. If this is an office in your organization, I would ask the seated board decide.

Well while you all were checking yourselves.....Our Immediate past president (in my experience) is nothing more than a title and the new president's "go to person" in the need of help. Also a respected person with past experience.

SO as far as a title goes, Person A and B are both past presidents and really BOTH are past presidents. I would honestly let the two decide who will have the title for the year.

Well, in this case, Person B is also the current President, so I think Person A would be the only logical choice in this scenario. There's not much point in the President advising himself.

If this is an office in your organization, I would ask the seated board decide.

It might not be up to the board. If the Immediate Past President is an office in the organization, the Bylaws will have to be read carefully.

Archived