The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Procedure in Small Boards

HAWVET

Edited the entire question

In smaller clubs where there are about a dozen members at the meeting, how should a member be recognized. Must the person stand or can the person simply raise his/her hand? Can the procedure for small boards be used? If not, can the by-laws be revised to state that the small board procedures will be used in the conduct of meetings?

Thank you for the response. We will have to adopt the rules for smaller assemblies for our club. One more related question. All Presidents/Commanders of the clubs form a Veterans Council with each having the president or a representative at the monthly council meeting. Can this council be considered a board and be governed by the rules on page 487?

Can this council be considered a board and be governed by the rules on page 487?

I'm not entirely sure whether this council would be considered a board, although I would suspect so. As Mr. Foulkes has pointed out, however, a small assembly may also choose to use the small board rules if it wishes.

In a "small board", as defined in RONR, I thought the RONR rules for such "small boards" applied without the organization having to do anything special (unless that organization had specifically excluded their use).

Am I correct?

I think either Dan or SG mentioned (they'll correct me if it wasn't them) the rules for small boards are not automatic for small boards, or, in this case, a small assembly. The rules for small boards and committees would automatically apply to a committee without adopting anything. I think in a case like this where it appears they're using the more formal rules, a special rule of order changing over to the small board procedures is proper.

In a "small board", as defined in RONR, I thought the RONR rules for such "small boards" applied without the organization having to do anything special (unless that organization had specifically excluded their use).

Am I correct?

I think either Dan or SG mentioned (they'll correct me if it wasn't them) the rules for small boards are not automatic for small boards, or, in this case, a small assembly. The rules for small boards and committees would automatically apply to a committee without adopting anything. I think in a case like this where it appears they're using the more formal rules, a special rule of order changing over to the small board procedures is proper.

As I read p. 487 ll. 26-31 the application of small board rules to small boards is automatic ("The rules governing such meetings are different..." -- not may be different), at least as compared to p. 16 ll. 12-15 for small organizations where a rule apparently must be adopted to enable small board rules. But that's how I read it.

Am I correct?

For a committee, these rules apply unless its parent assembly instructs it otherwise. For a small board, they apply unless the board chooses otherwise. For an assembly, they do not apply unless the assembly chooses otherwise.

In this case, we have one assembly (the club) which is clearly not a board, and one assembly (the Veterans' Council), which sounds like it is probably in the nature of a board, but it's hard to say for sure based only on the facts presented.

For a committee, these rules apply unless its parent assembly instructs it otherwise. For a small board, they apply unless the board chooses otherwise. For an assembly, they do not apply unless the assembly chooses otherwise.

In this case, we have one assembly (the club) which is clearly not a board, and one assembly (the Veterans' Council), which sounds like it is probably in the nature of a board, but it's hard to say for sure based only on the facts presented.

The thread that Mr. Mervosh is referring to is: http://robertsrules....h__1#entry67666

The default regarding whether a board does or doesn't follow modified board rules is that they some how determine for themselves, whether they do or don't relax the rules.

The thread that Mr. Mervosh is referring to is: http://robertsrules....h__1#entry67666

The default regarding whether a board does or doesn't follow modified board rules is that they some how determine for themselves, whether they do or don't relax the rules.

Hm. So I suppose that this would be handled by the rules governing custom. That is, whether the board follows the small board rules is determined by what the board has done in the past, unless the board votes to do otherwise. (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 19)

Hm. So I suppose that this would be handled by the rules governing custom. That is, whether the board follows the small board rules is determined by what the board has done in the past, unless the board votes to do otherwise. (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 19)

Or. a ruling by the chair, subject to appeal.

Archived