The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Electronic Voting

Tina Marie

This afternoon our School Board looked over several by-law changes one being to include voting via the internet for school board members. I did not have a good copy of RR with me and am not versed on this topic so any advise, words of wisdom, anything would be great (my book is 8 years old).

The majority of our members (5 members total) have reservations as we were not able to have regulations- controls on this like we do using ballots that voters would have to mark and place in a ballot box. We are also conserned with the idea of "keeping the election honest".

Like I said, any direction you can offer me to help with our decision would be great.

This afternoon our School Board looked over several by-law changes one being to include voting via the internet for school board members. I did not have a good copy of RR with me and am not versed on this topic so any advise, words of wisdom, anything would be great (my book is 8 years old).

The majority of our members (5 members total) have reservations as we were not able to have regulations- controls on this like we do using ballots that voters would have to mark and place in a ballot box. We are also conserned with the idea of "keeping the election honest".

Like I said, any direction you can offer me to help with our decision would be great.

It sounds like you're talking about holding the election of board members via the Internet. Is that right?

It doesn't seem like your group is sure enough about it to proceed. When you dive into absentee voting, such as this, RONR doesn't govern the process, so you will need to adopt additional rules, and if you can't "regulate" it or keep the election "honest," you will certainly be asking for a fiasco.

Although I haven't done it for quite a while, you can Google (or Bing, or whatever) "Internet Voting" and get rafts of ideas, suggestions, reports. Some municipalities (or larger) have tried it - I don't know the outcomes, in Arizona, for one, I think. Security is a tough problem in this context.

Send me your e-mail - via the internal Messenger system here, click on the little envelope in the top bar - I'll send you some stuff about how the Board itself could do business via e-mail, provided it is legal where you are. (Probably isn't.)

As noted RONR makes this entirely a do-it-yourself project.

Thank you everyone for your insite. Yes, the majority of our board is still very "on the fence" and we are concerned our school Admin wants this mainly for the benefit of saying we have "1000 parents" voted when we normally have ballot elections with 40 parents voting and no drama.

Our IT Dept. is working on this issue for us, too and we are waiting to see what they have to present.

Thanks for yor help and wish me luck!

In the past you have said to have electronic voting to be legal it should be provided in an organizations By-Laws. Does this still hold true?

It depends on what you mean by "electronic voting." If this does not represent ABSENTEE voting, that is, if the voters using the electronic device are the members collected in one room or area making up the assembly inside a meeting, then a bylaw provision would not be required. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 419. However, any form of absentee voting would require authorization from the bylaws.

Talking about Board Members from home voting on issues by computer as individuals without the benefit of any discussion. Hope this clarifies the original question. I guess this would be ABSENTEE voting since it is not involving a meeting with a quorum.....voting from home or office.

Talking about Board Members from home voting on issues by computer as individuals without the benefit of any discussion. Hope this clarifies the original question. I guess this would be ABSENTEE voting since it is not involving a meeting with a quorum.....voting from home or office.

Yes, this would be absentee voting and would require authorization in the bylaws. Any decision made, even if agreed to by each board member separately, outside of a board meeting, is not the decision of the board.

Archived