The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Surveillance cameras installed...no real limits to access of footage...what can we do about it? (long post here)

Guest Justin

I offer, and hope you will accept, my apologies in advance for a lengthy post. Without presenting the basic background, I simply couldn't get to the point, and to my questions. Thank you for your understanding.

At our annual meeting, the membership voted a majority in favor of installing infrared CCTV cameras inside the clubhouse and outside. 3 cameras in the clubhouse. 4 outside the clubhlouse. The club president told members:

1- all of the cameras record onto a central hard drive

2- the footage is preserved for 72 hours on the hard drive, upon which time the hard drive is overwritten with new footage

In presenting the case for installation of this Big Brother system, the President (a petty dictator) offered - and the members (stupidly and ignorantly, in my opinion) accepted - the following terms for access to any and all footage:

3- Board members would have full and unfettered access to view the footage

4- members could view the footage only in the presence of the Board

The above conditions 1-4 were accepted by the majority vote. Since that time it's been discovered the CCTV system is remote access capable. This means the Board, and in particular the petty dictator President, can log into the CCTV system from home or anywhere else and spy on the activities of each and every club member, at any time of the day or night.

Club members were never, ever told that the CCTV system was remote access capable. Of the 14 or so members of the Executive Board (officers and committee heads) only 2 are independently minded. The other 12 are obedient puppets of the dictator President. The 2 normal Exec Cmte members asked the Board if the CCTV remote access capability has been enabled, and if anyone on the Board is remotely spying on club members. Of course the Board said they're not using the remote access system.

However, the very day that the CCTV installation was completed, our club's cable TV reception was badly distorted on all channels.

Instead of calling our cable TV company to report this trouble, the President called the CCTV installation guy. He came to the club and members who were present saw him working on the cable TV box that's connected to our flat screen TV. He absolutely refused to answer any questions from club members who watched him work, instead telling club members to "talk to your president". The club cable TV worked perfectly when the CCTV guy left from his "repair call".

Subsequently, the President told members that the CCTV guy found a "bad crimping on the cable TV wire". Bullcrap, I called. After 30 years in the telecom industry I know a cable crimping doesn't go bad when it's in a location that's virtually unaccesible and enclosed for dirt/dust protection.

Obviously, the remote access feature is enabled. Which brings me to the point. Club members are very concerned that:

1-The remote access feature Is being used to download club camera footage to Board members' own pc's, CD's, flash drives, etc.

2-Such recorded footage of club members firing their guns on the range may be sent to local law enforcement or State Police, where the footage will be used to create a dossier or file on club members, which could then be used for nefarious purposes

My plans from this point forward are:

1-Send a certified letter to the Board asking them to tell me, in writing, if the CCTV remote access system is enabled, and telling me who has access

2- Bring up for discussion the remote access issues at the next club meeting

3-Consulting an attorney

4-Having the club's cable TV system replaced with satelite TV, to disallow direct internet connection to the CCTV remote access modem

What other steps - besides making a motion to remove the CCTV system - can be taken to ensure the remote access system is removed from the CCTV system entirely, or at least disabled?

Are club members entitled to either get copies of or view for themselves the following, and how exactly do club members go about getting those copies or viewing the originals::

1-The contract which the board signed with the CCTV provider

2-The system specifications of the CCTV system

Hi Chris;

Perhaps the only RR relevance would be

1-Do members have a right to get copies of or arrange to view the contract and specifications of the system they authorized to be installed.

2-Do members have a right to know if the Bd is using the CCTV remote access system

No?

Thank you.

The membership has the authority to give instruction to the board.

Also, since the membership originally authorized the purchase and installation, and also authorized certain terms of access:

3- Board members would have full and unfettered access to view the footage

4- members could view the footage only in the presence of the Board

the membership would have the authority to amend its original motion in order to change those terms of access. A motion to amend something previously adopted has a higher voting threshold than the original motion -- requires two-thirds vote without notice OR majority vote with notice OR majority vote of the entire membership.

If the membership requests information from the board, and the board refuses to supply it, the membership could always order the surveillance system turned off until the situation is resolved -- that's a straightforward order, and it should be relatively easy to verify that the order is carried out.

If the issue of how the CCTV system works and how it can/cannot be customized to remove the remote access capability is a complicated one, the membership could establish a committee to investigate the issue, and report back with findings. The investigation could include looking at the documents that are in the possession of the organization, as well as research into how this type of system works -- calling up installation companies and asking questions, for example).

Tina;

Thank you very much for very clear and very useful answers. Are you able to tell me:

1. The right way for the membership to request information about the CCTV system from the board (petition sent to bd via certified mail? motion at meeting?)

2. How membership would order the CCTV system turned off (motion at meeting? a room full of Louisville sluggers!?!?!)

Thank you again!

Tina;

Thank you very much for very clear and very useful answers. Are you able to tell me:

1. The right way for the membership to request information about the CCTV system from the board (petition sent to bd via certified mail? motion at meeting?)

2. How membership would order the CCTV system turned off (motion at meeting? a room full of Louisville sluggers!?!?!)

Thank you again!

I have skipped reading your original post, since Chris H deemed it to be irrelevant. :)

As for the two parts of this question, I'll jump in and say what is written in RONR (11th ed.), p. 483, ll. 9-13, "Except for matters placed by the bylaws exclusively under the control of the board, the society's assembly can give the board instructions which it must carry out, and can rescind or amend any action of the board if it is not too late..."

Handle this in a membership meeting. Take RONR; leave the Louisville Sluggers.

Archived