The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Accepting/Voting on By-laws amendments

Guest Diana Whittaker

Guest Diana Whittaker

Our bylaws say we have to present amendments at the meeting before we vote on them. A written copy of proposed revisions was presented in writing and read to the general membership at the meeting the end of January. At our February meeting I was told as Committee Chairman to make a motion to approve the bylaws. Another parliamentarian told me I need to read the revisions again and then as Chairman recommend to the President she asked for a motion to approve them. Please advise

Thank you.

Your "other parliamentarian" (how many do you have?!?) may be a little confused, but I can't be really sure since I wasn't there.

Since the amendments were written out and distributed in January, I think all you need do is move (one amendment at a time, unless this is a General Revision) their adoption and refer to the printed document. But I hope you brought extra copies.

Then discus, possibly amend, and adopt (or defeat) each amendment.

Is that what finally happened? If you, you are done.

The Chair must also put the question on the adoption of each proposed change (assuming once again we're not talking about a complete revision) being certain the members understand exactly what the effect of their vote will be, so you can just move for it's adoption, because they're going to hear it before they vote.

Archived