The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committe reports

Guest Farmersdaughter

Guest Farmersdaughter

Can any member in a written request receive a copy of an audit committee report ?

Our by-laws state only a section on :Inspection of Records : " The membership register or duplicate membership register , the books of accounts and minutes of proceedings of the members , and the Executive Committee , if any shall be open to inspection upon the written demand of any member at any reasonable time and for the purpose reasonably related to his or her interests as a member."

Our by-laws also states," Roberts Rules of order shall be ascribed to at all meetings of the members , committees and the executive committee"

Can you help me find the rule as it may relate to this situation? I have 10th and 11th editions.

Thank you for any help in this matter.

Farmersdaughter

"Open for inspection" would appear to rule out getting, on demand, a written copy. RONR has nothing to say on the topic except that the minutes (which should contain the audit report after adoption) can be "examined" under conditions essentially matching yours. P. 460.

'Course, it might be convenient for the secretary to make a photocopy for you to "inspect", but that, I suppose, would be up to him.

Guest Farmersdaughter

She doesnt want to give it to us. She believes that committee reports are not included in open records as they talk about things personal in nature. the committee report was read at a meeting however it was not entered into the minutes only statement of " Board Member Smith motion to adopted audit committee findings and move forward with recommendations."

Guest farmersdaughter

No I am not , the board is a mess and they continue to work against the members wishes, This fall the board spent money and claimed that it was approved out of a committee recommondation. I am trying to see if the committee one had a right to ask the board to spend the money and second if it did indeed come from the committee. The by-laws states board can spend up to $3000.00 without membership approval. They spent $2992.00 than turned around and issued another checi for $2990.00 to the same committee for the same purpose.

Archived