The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Difficulties with Committee Chair

Guest Pam Duffy

Committee Chairs in our small organization are appointed by the Board Chair. The comittees have very specific duties assigned as defined by the organization's Committees Roles & Responsibilities. These roles and responsibilities were voted on and approved by the members of the organization. Problems are being experienced now with a particular Committee Chairman going outside his assigned roles and responsibilities. Despite counselling by the Board Chair, the problems continue.

What are the remedies in Robert's Rules of Order in a situation such as I have described?

Having similar situation but it is not a standing committee. We have a service award in our dog club, presented annually since 1980 and once there were 3 winners, those 3 became the ones who accepted nominations for the next year. They typically have a month to receive and decide and get award engraved to present at banquet. Currently the last 3 winners have delayed their decision on a winner, frustrating our new awards chairman to no end. Now they have a winner picked but don't want to award it tomorrow, but wait until a future meeting. Has always been presented at banquet, even if winner absent. Does the President have authority to tell those 3 people that they need to announce the winner at our banquet? Need quick answer or opinions before some of our blood pressures go sky high.

Additional info - the comm. of 3 refuses to give any explanation as to why there is a delay.

Is this three-person "committee" an actual rule of your organization or just a custom that got started when there was a three-way tie.

In any event, there's no way to force anyone to do anything. The most you could do would be to punish them for not doing something they are supposed to do. But your question isn't clear so you might want to start a new topic instead of adding to an existing one, however similar it may be.

There ya go.

I tried to find a solution to this problem in Robert's, but was unable to do so. So, your comments are appreciated.

Is it really that simple? The Board Chair can just opt to replace this member if his actions don't turn around (please remember that the Board Chair appointed this individual as committee Chair? The balance of the Board or the members to not have to vote on the issue? Just so you know, this particular circumstance is not covered in our Bylaws.

Thanks.

Is this three-person "committee" an actual rule of your organization or just a custom that got started when there was a three-way tie.

In any event, there's no way to force anyone to do anything. The most you could do would be to punish them for not doing something they are supposed to do. But your question isn't clear so you might want to start a new topic instead of adding to an existing one, however similar it may be.

I'm new to this forum, so pardon me if I'm not doing it right. The comm. is a revolving comm. of the most current 3 winners of the award. It started in 1980 with the Awards Comm. making selection of winner after it was donated. At some point shortly after there were 3 winners, the guidelines state that the oldest of the 3 recent winners goes off once a new winner is picked, and those 3 make up the selection committee for the following year. I guess there isn't any nice & easy solution but the odd part is that 4 mos. ago the oldest of the 3 stated at a board mtg. that there might be a time when there was no one worthy of the service award - so he had this idea in his head at that time that he might not be agreeable to coming up with a winner and I'm sure he's the one who has been dragging the other 2 down.

Is it really that simple? The Board Chair can just opt to replace this member if his actions don't turn around (please remember that the Board Chair appointed this individual as committee Chair?

Yep. Absent any rule to the contrary (and there's none in RONR), the power to appoint is the power to dis-appoint.

You've no doubt seen movies where the boss says something like, "I hired you and I can fire you!".

I'm new to this forum, so pardon me if I'm not doing it right.

I think you can see how your question (and its answers) are getting mixed up with Ms. Duffy's questions and answers. So why not start fresh with a new topic.You might also want to consider becoming a member of this forum (no salesman will call) so you won't have to keep trying to decipher that hideous CAPTCHA code.

Guest Kenneth G. Bishop

Can the Chairman of the meeting second a motion for which other members of the committee or board do not second? As an example, the so-called "President" chairs the meeting. Another member makes a motion but it does not have a 'second' from other non-chair members. Can that President second the motion so that it can be debated and a vote called?

Can the Chairman of the meeting second a motion for which other members of the committee or board do not second? As an example, the so-called "President" chairs the meeting. Another member makes a motion but it does not have a 'second' from other non-chair members. Can that President second the motion so that it can be debated and a vote called?

According to RONR, in committees and in small boards (not more than about a dozen) seconds are not required. In any event, the chair should not be seconding motions.

Archived