The Official RONR Q & A Forums

secret ballot via email vote

Guest award

Not that is completely foolproof, secrecy-wise.

Unless... you have access to some VERY fancy cryptography, as described by Bruce Schneier in "Applied Cryptography". Theoretically interesting, but, I suspect, impracticable.

It may be that some Internet companies will do the job, but there is still a (small) element of trust needed, even with them.

I'm fairly certain that software to deal with this requirement exists. [And, after reading Dr. Stackpole's better-informed response, I am less certain.]

From the point of view of RONR (which is the focus of this forum), one must first ask if meeting via teleconference, and absentee voting (e.g. via e-mail) are specifically authorized in the bylaws of the organization. Such activites are not proper under the rules in RONR. If the bylaws do permit electronic meetings and/or absentee voting, the bylaws (or other rules of the organization) need to specify how the details are to be handled (see RONR 11th ed. pp. 97-99).

Is there a way a secret ballot can be done with members in a teleconference voting via email?

Not easily. You might want to broaden your perspective from "e-mail." There is customized software for Internet ballot voting out there, but this is something you're going to need to research carefully before putting it into practice - and as Trina notes, make sure it's actually authorized by the Bylaws first.

Archived