The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Write-In Winner Without Running Mate?

Guest Mike

I am in an organization who follows Robert's Rules of Order. In our constitution it says

"The President and Vice President must run on a complete ticket, no candidate may run on an incomplete ticket". We only had one president/vice president joint ticket run for office, however we have write in votes available.

The write in winners clause states that,

"To be elected via write-in you must meet all qualifications to run for office."

We had a write-in candidate who received more votes for President then any other candidate. Does the joint-ticket clause disqualify the candidate? What happens?

We had a write-in candidate who received more votes for President then any other candidate. Does the joint-ticket clause disqualify the candidate? What happens?

Well, first of all, did the write-in candidate actually receive a majority of the votes cast (more than half of the total), or simply a plurality (more than any other candidate)? If the latter, do your Bylaws provide for election by plurality?

If it was only a plurality and your Bylaws do not provide for election by plurality, you need to hold another round of voting so you won't need to worry about this issue yet. If it was a majority or your Bylaws do provide for election by plurality, go with what Mr. Wynn said.

Well, wihout readinf the rest of the By-laws, and ultimately it is up to the organization (i.e. the members) to interupt their own By-laws, but the By-law referenced above deals with "running" for an office and not being elected (voted into) an office. As such, an interpretation of the By-laws may be that the person is President and there is an incomplete election for Vice-President.

Well, wihout readinf the rest of the By-laws, and ultimately it is up to the organization (i.e. the members) to interupt their own By-laws, but the By-law referenced above deals with "running" for an office and not being elected (voted into) an office. As such, an interpretation of the By-laws may be that the person is President and there is an incomplete election for Vice-President.

That's one interpretation, but the clause on write-ins complicates things, as it says: "To be elected via write-in you must meet all qualifications to run for office." I don't envy the assembly's task in interpreting this issue.

Archived