The Official RONR Q & A Forums

chairman relinquishing chair during election

sandib

Our election meeting to be held the end of March promises to be trying for all concerned.

Someone has tried to convince me that if the presiding officer relinquishes the chair because of his desire to enter into debate, the chair gets turned over to the nominating committee. I can't find a trace of this anywhere. ? ? ?

If he chooses not to reliinquish, but enters into debate, he can be removed from his presiding position by a vote of the assembly, correct ?

If he willingly rellinquished his position, does the vice-president then preside? If he ( the VP) declines, who then presides until the debate is over. ?

Does the fact that the President is running for re-election have anything to do with his chairing the meeting ?

You can see I need lots of direction. Thank you

Someone has tried to convince me that if the presiding officer relinquishes the chair because of his desire to enter into debate, the chair gets turned over to the nominating committee. I can't find a trace of this anywhere. ? ? ?

I assume he means the nominating committee chair, since it's difficult for a whole committee to preside. Anyway, you can't find a trace of this because it doesn't exist. In fact, RONR suggests this is a poor idea. (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 453, lines 18-25) The assembly is not actually considering the committee's report in this case, but the committee has made a recommendation on who to elect, and therefore has shown itself to be partial on the issue.

If he chooses not to reliinquish, but enters into debate, he can be removed from his presiding position by a vote of the assembly, correct ?

Yes. This is a motion to Suspend the Rules, so a 2/3 vote is required. (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 652, lines 5-7; pg. 261, line 14)

If he willingly rellinquished his position, does the vice-president then preside?

Assuming the VP has not spoken in debate and does not decline because he wishes to speak, yes. (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 395, lines 1-6) This also applies when the President unwillingly relinquishes his position, unless the motion to Suspend the Rules states otherwise. (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 652, lines 7-9)

If he ( the VP) declines, who then presides until the debate is over. ?

The chair appoints a member to chair the meeting, although the assembly may elect a different member as Chariman Pro Tempore if desired. Of course, as with the VP, this person should not have spoken on the issue or wish to speak to it. (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 395, lines 1-2, 7-13)

Does the fact that the President is running for re-election have anything to do with his chairing the meeting ?

No. (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 451, line 35 - pg. 452, line 3)

Archived