The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board approved appointment

Guest alex

If the bylaws state that the President appoints, with Board approval, the chairpersons of the standing committees (which are one year terms unless otherwise specified), does the Board also have to approve the removal of a chairperson prior to the end of his term?

If the bylaws state that the President appoints, with Board approval, the chairpersons of the standing committees (which are one year terms unless otherwise specified), does the Board also have to approve the removal of a chairperson prior to the end of his term?

There has been some debate among notable parliamentary minds on this question.

I assert that the president cannot, by his own act, remove or replace a person so appointed, based primarily on what is said in RONR (11th ed.), p. 497, ll. 11-13; and surrounding pages.

There has been some debate among notable parliamentary minds on this question.

I assert that the president cannot, by his own act, remove or replace a person so appointed, based primarily on what is said in RONR (11th ed.), p. 497, ll. 11-13; and surrounding pages.

Whoa, hold on. Did I read that the bylaws provide for a fixed period for the term?

If so, ignore my previous post. The chair cannot be removed, except through disciplinary proceedings.

Archived