The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special meeting

Guest Joachim Bullacher

Can motions be made to vote a member out of an organization at a Special Meeting?

Sure, provided at least two pre-conditions have been met:

a) The call for the meeting includes that item of business;

2) You have followed all the "vote-out" procedure rules found either in your bylaws or in RONR.

What if the member is misbehaving badly enough at the special meeting that the other members present at the meeting decide to vote him out, right then and there?

What if the member is misbehaving badly enough at the special meeting that the other members present at the meeting decide to vote him out, right then and there?

I don't see anything on pg. 646 that would prohibit the assembly, at a special meeting, from doing so; as long as the imposed penalty is promptly administered (relative to the breech and point of order) and there isn't something elsewhere in the rules that would otherwise limit the particular assembly from imposing this penalty.

However, another question might be, would the action need to be ratified at another meeting?

I think if the answer were anything but no, the rationale would need to be located in the bylaws or other governing docs. Nothing in RONR I've found suggests ratification is required.

Not even p. 93 l. 8 - 12? My thinking is that p. 646 is a specific exception to the general rule on p. 93.

Of course, you're offering an answer in the form of a question here (a format of which you seem to be particularly fond), but I'll try to slap some references onto it for sport.

If one adds up, p. 93, ll. 5-6; p. 227, ll. 20-21; & p. 647, l. 20, one finds that the member can be given the boot.

Of course, you're offering an answer in the form of a question here (a format of which you seem to be particularly fond), but I'll try to slap some references onto it for sport.

If one adds up, p. 93, ll. 5-6; p. 227, ll. 20-21; & p. 647, l. 20, one finds that the member can be given the boot.

Actually, I was answering John Stackpole's answer -- and what better way to answer an answer than with a question? (Oops, did it again.)

Our local Executive Board is attempting to change the date of a regular meeting in order to vote on an issue requested of our State Chair by a deadline. The change of date was not announced at our last meeting. Missing 4 meetings automatically removes us from the organization. I wrote that the meeting called is a Special Meeting and cannot substitute for a Regular Meeting. The Special Meeting must be for a stated purpose and not for things such as regular meeting reports.

Our Bylaws State that we follow RONR when our Bylaws do not address an issue. Our Bylaws state:

Section 1. Regular meetings of the Central Committee shall be held once each calendar

month at 7:00 p.m. on the second Wednesday of each month unless another date and

time was selected by the Central Committee at a previous meeting. The Central

Committee shall select the meeting site. Any regular meeting may be dispensed with by

a two-thirds vote at a previous meeting. Seven days’ notice of regular meetings shall be

given to all Members by the Secretary. For regular meetings held at a standard time and

place, the Secretary’s failure to provide notice shall not invalidate the meeting.

Section 2. Special meetings of the Central Committee may be called by the Central

Committee, by the Executive Committee, or by a majority of the Regular Members acting

outside a meeting. The Members calling the meeting shall provide seven days’ notice to

all Members of the date, time, place, and purpose of the meeting.

What is your take on this. should our attendance count?

Archived