The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion 2nd before discussion

Guest Katie

...Although considering the motion without a second (even if one is required) in no way invalidates its disposition.

Also, prior to the second being offered, if debate is allowed to commence without any objection (i.e no Point of Order), the lack of a second becomes immaterial.

And once debate (discussion) starts, the lack of a second is immaterial.

Anyone else? :)

Does a motion need a second before it can be discussed?

Generally, yes. However, there are some motions that do not require a second. Also, in small boards and committees, generally seconds are not required.

Aside from motions made in small boards or in committees, and aside from those made upon recommendation by a (board or) committee, can you think of more than one motion (meaning, more than one type of motion) that is debatable but does not require a second?

Aside from motions made in small boards or in committees, and aside from those made upon recommendation by a (board or) committee, can you think of more than one motion (meaning, more than one type of motion) that is debatable but does not require a second?

First, I'm not sure how YOU painted ME into the corner of not being able to count recommendations from a board or committee and not being able to count multiple motions of the same type. Anyway, what the heck, I'll go for it...

Okay, we know the first one, that's easy: A Request to be Excused From a Duty.

Let's not attempt to stretch a Nomination or Proposal to Fill a Blank into being a motion... So, for the second one... Would you believe...

A motion that is the subject of an adopted motion to suspend the rules to allow a member to speak on the merits of an undebatable motion that coincidentally does not require a second? Is that a TYPE of motion? No, I didn't think so.

Okay, I'll just go with the winning answer, then...

Any motion that is so defined by an organization's special rule of order or bylaws.

Also, since you excluded motions "made in small boards or in committees," thereby creating that type of motion as a possibility without fully limiting the qualification, I believe I'm entitled to extra credit for additionally submitting the following correct answer, which is validated by RONR*:

Motions made in the small assembly of a society that has adopted a rule that its meetings will be governed by all of the less formal procedures applicable to small boards. RONR (11th ed.), p. 10. You created the loophole, I just jumped through it. :)

(*Sure, it takes an act of the society to make this rule applicable, but the same is true of the rules for small boards and committees, since it requires an act of the society to create a board or committee)

First, I'm not sure how YOU painted ME into the corner of not being able to count recommendations from a board or committee and not being able to count multiple motions of the same type. Anyway, what the heck, I'll go for it...

Okay, we know the first one, that's easy: A Request to be Excused From a Duty.

Let's not attempt to stretch a Nomination or Proposal to Fill a Blank into being a motion... So, for the second one... Would you believe...

[etc.]

No need to jump through loopholes; perhaps I should have stated at the outset that Request to Be Excused from a Duty was the only one I could think of. :)

Archived