The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes to faculty meeting

Guest George Smith

What is the process for approving minutes when the majority disapproves. Our faculty at the last meeting adopted the RONR. However, the majority of members did not approve the minutes from the previous meeting. The disapproval was on the bases that a meeting after the meeting (which was contiguous) was included in the minutes as part of the overall meeting. We did not have an adjournment vote because we had not done so in the past. We did excuse the Administrative Assistant (Minute recorder) and the adjunct faculty. However, the program manager requested for the AA to stay. The majority of those present believed that the meeting had been adjourned. The faculty voiced their concerns and did not expect minutes to be taken. Since the minutes have not been approved by the majority and the manager has refused to remove the disapproved portion. How should we proceed? Can minutes be tabled indefinitely?

What is the process for approving minutes when the majority disapproves. Our faculty at the last meeting adopted the RONR. However, the majority of members did not approve the minutes from the previous meeting. The disapproval was on the bases that a meeting after the meeting (which was contiguous) was included in the minutes as part of the overall meeting. We did not have an adjournment vote because we had not done so in the past. We did excuse the Administrative Assistant (Minute recorder) and the adjunct faculty. However, the program manager requested for the AA to stay. The majority of those present believed that the meeting had been adjourned. The faculty voiced their concerns and did not expect minutes to be taken. Since the minutes have not been approved by the majority and the manager has refused to remove the disapproved portion. How should we proceed? Can minutes be tabled indefinitely?

Minutes are approved by unanimous consent. The only way to NOT consent is to offer a correction. A member should have offered the correction that the inaccurate portion of the minutes be stricken. This correction is debatable and requires a majority vote to adopt.

Corrections are handled one at a time until no more corrections are offered. At that point, when there are no further corrections, the chair declares the minutes approved.

You cannot refuse to approve the minutes.

Tim, the Minutes do not have to be approved by unanimous consent, although they normally are done so. If the Minutes are contentious (as this set are) then a motion would be in order. However, if the majority does not want something in the Minutes, then a member of the majority can offer a correction which removes the part the members do not want and then a motion can be made to approve the minutes as corrected.

Tim, the Minutes do not have to be approved by unanimous consent, although they normally are done so. If the Minutes are contentious (as this set are) then a motion would be in order. However, if the majority does not want something in the Minutes, then a member of the majority can offer a correction which removes the part the members do not want and then a motion can be made to approve the minutes as corrected.

RONR begs to differ. "The minutes are thus approved without any formal vote, even if a motion for their approval has been made. The only proper way to object to the approval of the secretary's draft of the minutes is to offer a correction to it." - RONR (11th ed.), p. 355, ll. 5-8

Mr. Smith, does that settle it for you? -- It strikes me that the issue is not really the minutes. The issue is ...

... um --

-- Oh nuts. The faculty believes that the second meeting was private and confidential, and therefore minutes should not have been taken -- is that what the issue really is?

...after the meeting (which was contiguous) was included in the minutes

("-Hey! Teacha! Leave those tigs alone!-")

How should we proceed? Can minutes be tabled indefinitely?

(Seriously now, but I couldn't resist paraphrasing some rock'n'roll of my tempestuous youth.) No, of course not. There's no such thing. And the very thought is horrendous: that's just burying history. If you want your minutes confidential or sequestered, make them confidential or sequestered.

the manager has refused to remove the disapproved portion. How should we proceed?

Who is this 'manager' and what authority does he/she have? If this is just another word for the presiding officer (chair) of the assembly, the chair has no such authority, in which case proceed as the previous posters describe, fix the minutes, and approve them.

The fact that you use this alien (to RONR) term makes me wonder, though, if the manager actually has some additional authority under the rules of your organization.

Also, I'm curious what you mean by:

Our faculty at the last meeting adopted the RONR.

Is no parliamentary authority named in the bylaws? What exactly was the motion that 'adopted the RONR'?

Rev Ed, in this case I would agree with Mr. Tim. If in the consideration of a specific individual amendment to the document a member objects to a specifically proposed inclusion or amendment, then yes, each proposed inclusion or amendment would be put to a vote, individually. However, after resolving each individual proposed inclusion or amendment, and at the time that no other amendments to the document is being proposed or considered , the entire document is considered approved, relative to the chair's declaration. Putting the final approval of the minutes to a vote , even if a member has moved the approval of the minutes by a formal motion is in this instance, would appear to be dilatory. Keep in mind ASAP is available to amend any set of minutes at a later meeting.

Steven, I did correct myself after Tim pointed out my error. In this case, a vote could be held to determine whether or not the majority wants this last part of the Minutes to be included or not, but not a direct vote on the entire document..

Okay, thanks for the additional clarification.

Archived