The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Abstention vs. Recusal

Sloan

Good afternoon,

Recently, a member of a small Commission (6 people) that I serve as staff for asked the following:

Is there a difference between an abstention and a recusal (which, based on what I've read so far is to not vote because of a conflict of interest)?

I was not sure of the answer. As I explained, I equated an abstention with a simple non-vote (covering a number of circumstances), while a recusal was a conflict of interest. However, it seems as if a member's recusal is not specified in Robert's Rules - only a non-vote in conflict of interest circumstances.

If a member had a conflict of interest and did not vote, would abstention be a suitable description? Or, should their "non-vote" be described differently.

Thank you,

Meghan

If a member had a conflict of interest and did not vote, would abstention be a suitable description? Or, should their "non-vote" be described differently.

Thank you,

Meghan

Why is a precise description of the "non-vote" needed? Does the group have a requirement that non-votes (for whatever reason) be recorded? That would not be the case under the rules in RONR.

Archived