The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sloan

Abstention vs. Recusal

Good afternoon,

Recently, a member of a small Commission (6 people) that I serve as staff for asked the following:

Is there a difference between an abstention and a recusal (which, based on what I've read so far is to not vote because of a conflict of interest)?

I was not sure of the answer. As I explained, I equated an abstention with a simple non-vote (covering a number of circumstances), while a recusal was a conflict of interest. However, it seems as if a member's recusal is not specified in Robert's Rules - only a non-vote in conflict of interest circumstances.

If a member had a conflict of interest and did not vote, would abstention be a suitable description? Or, should their "non-vote" be described differently.

Thank you,

Meghan

From a parliamentary standpoint, whatever you call it, it has the same effect. The reason a person abstains does not change the fact that he is abstaining. According to RONR, no member can be compelled to refrain from voting, so it is ultimately the decision of the member.

If a member had a conflict of interest and did not vote, would abstention be a suitable description? Or, should their "non-vote" be described differently.

Thank you,

Meghan

Why is a precise description of the "non-vote" needed? Does the group have a requirement that non-votes (for whatever reason) be recorded? That would not be the case under the rules in RONR.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this