The Official RONR Q & A Forums

HOA voting procedure for special assessment

mdw

Greetings all!

I am a newbie to this board and thank you in advance for any guidance you may have to offer!

Our HOA board has never followed proper procedure and it has left me and my husband endlessly frustrated! Our current issue is that a special assessment has been proposed by the board and they are asking for votes to be cast on a form that was sent by email. They would like the form to be printed out, filled in and then returned to the presidents mailbox to be counted. They are giving homeowners 1 week to do this.

Our bylaws require that an affirmative vote by 75% of all owners is needed for the assessment to pass. My husband and I feel that in order to be assured that this 75% is not just of those that choose to vote, that homeowners should be required to present sealed ballots, opened and counted only at a special live meeting of all residents, called only for this purpose....with due notice of time and date of meeting given to all.

Is this a legitimate request or is dropping off of ballots, with counting done by the board members themselves acceptable??

Greetings all!

I am a newbie to this board and thank you in advance for any guidance you may have to offer!

Our HOA board has never followed proper procedure and it has left me and my husband endlessly frustrated! Our current issue is that a special assessment has been proposed by the board and they are asking for votes to be cast on a form that was sent by email. They would like the form to be printed out, filled in and then returned to the presidents mailbox to be counted. They are giving homeowners 1 week to do this.

Our bylaws require that an affirmative vote by 75% of all owners is needed for the assessment to pass. My husband and I feel that in order to be assured that this 75% is not just of those that choose to vote, that homeowners should be required to present sealed ballots, opened and counted only at a special live meeting of all residents, called only for this purpose....with due notice of time and date of meeting given to all.

Is this a legitimate request or is dropping off of ballots, with counting done by the board members themselves acceptable??

All this pertains to the specific rules of your organization. So, to provide an accurate answer, a review of your documents would be required, which is beyond the scope if this forum.

Absentee voting (including this mail ballot) is not allowed unless specifically authorized by your bylaws or higher governing documents.

Thank you for the response. We actually have no other voting procedures outlined in our bylaws except for the requirement of the 75%. The bylaws are rudimentary at best, put forth by the original developer and have never been ammended by the homeowners. We have suggested this as many topics are not addressed in document that need to be, but it has fallen on deaf ears.

Thank you for the response. We actually have no other voting procedures outlined in our bylaws except for the requirement of the 75%. The bylaws are rudimentary at best, put forth by the original developer and have never been ammended by the homeowners. We have suggested this as many topics are not addressed in document that need to be, but it has fallen on deaf ears.

If the bylaws are that vague, do they actually adopt a parliamentary authority?

Archived