The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Member Removal

Guest Pete

Good Afternoon,

A situation has recently come up in our youth baseball association where the son of a board member has been made to play summer baseball outside of the local league due to the player going on vacation this summer. League policy states that if a player is unavailable for any one of 3 predefined weeks in the summer, they are ineligible for the team. As a result the board member found another team for his son to play on in the summer.

The league is now contemplating removing the board member for this as they feel there is a perception that some may feel that the board member feels the town program is not good enough for his son. The board member did not and would have not looked for another summer team had the rule not been in place.

The board member feels that he did right by his son by allowing him to go on a once in a lifetime vacation as well as doing right by the league by not asking for any special consideration regarding the stated rule. He also is notifying the association 4 months before the season starts. The board member doesn't know what more he could have done with the exception of telling his son he couldn't go on vacation to placate the league.

The bylaws say nothing about the procedure to remove a board member and we default to Robert's Rules. It is my understanding that in our league situation, the executive board has given autonomy has been given to the president to decide whether this board member stays or goes.

I would really appreciate the insight of those on this forum.

RONR doesn't grant the President or Board the authority to remove anyone from any office (and if they try to exert that authority they had better be able to produce some applicable rule giving it to them). Unless the bylaws specify a mechanism for removing a Board member that authority is vested in the General Membership and depending on how the bylaws define the term of office for a Board member the General Membership may be able to Rescind the election or having a full blown Chapter XX trial may be necessary. See FAQ #20 and RONR Chapter XX with a focus on pp. 653-654 for details.

Good Morning,

A quick update to the above situation. The board member in question holds an appointed position. Does that change the steps for removal? The league does have a disciplinary review board to handle internal issues however the executive board has deemed that removal from the board is not considered discipline and therefore will not refer it for review.

Thank You

The board member in question holds an appointed position. Does that change the steps for removal?

Possibly. Who appointed him? (Although it seems you have customized disciplinary procedures anyway, so you may have to look at those).

The league does have a disciplinary review board to handle internal issues however the executive board has deemed that removal from the board is not considered discipline and therefore will not refer it for review.

Well, you'll need to look to your Bylaws to see what they say on this subject, but removal from the board is discipline so far as RONR is concerned.

Josh, thank you for your prompt response. The president appointed the board member to the board. The board member is trying to get it referred to the discipinary review board as he feels that he did nothing wrong in this situation to warrant being removed from the board. I am glad to hear that removal from the board is viewed as disciplinary by RONR. The bylaws give the power to the president to appoint members but no where in the by laws does it outline removal procedures. The member is hoping that will mean that the organization will default to Roberts Rules for guidance as stated in our bylaws when a situation is not specifically covered.

Guest hunter.jm@cchmc.org

So can you help me with this, I do not want to remove the Board member, but the Board member has not adequately performed his duty on the Board. Is it possible to hold the Board member in their position for another year until they have rightful executed their duties? This will mean the Boad member will not take the next step forward of President-Elect. This position will be open for someone to be voted in. The current President will remain another year to train the President-Elect and make sure the Vice President has handled their responsibilities so the Vice President can then take the next step to President-Elect. Is this proper? Do you have a chapter on this?

Josh, thank you for your prompt response. The president appointed the board member to the board. The board member is trying to get it referred to the discipinary review board as he feels that he did nothing wrong in this situation to warrant being removed from the board. I am glad to hear that removal from the board is viewed as disciplinary by RONR. The bylaws give the power to the president to appoint members but no where in the by laws does it outline removal procedures. The member is hoping that will mean that the organization will default to Roberts Rules for guidance as stated in our bylaws when a situation is not specifically covered.

Hm... what do the Bylaws have to say about the term of office for board members? See FAQ #20 for more information on what I'm looking for here.

Of course, it's not entirely clear that your Bylaws are silent on this issue. It's quite possible the your rules on the Disciplinary Review Board applies to this situation, and those rules supersede RONR.

So can you help me with this, I do not want to remove the Board member, but the Board member has not adequately performed his duty on the Board. Is it possible to hold the Board member in their position for another year until they have rightful executed their duties? This will mean the Boad member will not take the next step forward of President-Elect. This position will be open for someone to be voted in. The current President will remain another year to train the President-Elect and make sure the Vice President has handled their responsibilities so the Vice President can then take the next step to President-Elect. Is this proper? Do you have a chapter on this?

No, this is not proper. The President-Elect automatically becomes President at the completion of his term. See RONR, 11th ed., pg. 457, lines 15-21.

Josh,

Here is what I have found in response to your question. "President: shall preside at meetings of the association. Shall make appointments as authorized by the Board of Directors. Shall insure the wishes of the Board of Directors are met The Board of Directors, inclusive of the Executive Board, shall be elected annually at the October meeting and take office in November. All Board positions will be voted on yearly. All elected Board Members can not hold the same Board Position for longer than 6 years(effective with the 3/12/07 bilaw revision)."

Does this help?

Here is what I have found in response to your question. "President: shall preside at meetings of the association. Shall make appointments as authorized by the Board of Directors. Shall insure the wishes of the Board of Directors are met The Board of Directors, inclusive of the Executive Board, shall be elected annually at the October meeting and take office in November. All Board positions will be voted on yearly. All elected Board Members can not hold the same Board Position for longer than 6 years(effective with the 3/12/07 bilaw revision)."

Does this help?

Well, I'm getting a bit confused now. You said earlier that the President appointed this position, but it seems here that the board is to be elected by the general membership. Is the President perhaps authorized to fill vacancies, or is there something else I'm missing?

In any event, based on the facts presented, it seems to me that the President does not have the authority to remove the board member from office. Rather, the society must follow formal disciplinary procedures, as provided in your Bylaws, or as provided in Ch. XX of RONR if your Bylaws are silent on this topic.

The position in question as well as 2 others within the organization are appointed positions to the board. There are an additional 16 positions that are voted on annually. At last month's board meeting a by law amendment was proposed to make the remaining positions elected positions. Some within the organization are assuming since the President appointed the member to his position that the president has the reverse sole authority as well. As I read Roberts Rules, I don't draw that conclusion.

The position in question as well as 2 others within the organization are appointed positions to the board. There are an additional 16 positions that are voted on annually. At last month's board meeting a by law amendment was proposed to make the remaining positions elected positions.

Okay... what is the nature of this position? Does the person serve in some other capacity (such as a committee chair) and then serve ex offico as a member of the board? And what do the Bylaws say about the term of office for that position?

Some within the organization are assuming since the President appointed the member to his position that the president has the reverse sole authority as well. As I read Roberts Rules, I don't draw that conclusion.

I don't have enough information to draw a conclusion yet. One of the biggest factors that this hinges on is how the term of office is defined for this position.

• 1 year later...

i am looking for help in properly removing the president from our executive board. He has abused his power and does things without board approval. He has been a detriment to our existance. Our by laws state that the president is the only one who can call emergency meeting but this is about removal of president so please help out with this.

i am looking for help in properly removing the president from our executive board. He has abused his power and does things without board approval. He has been a detriment to our existance. Our by laws state that the president is the only one who can call emergency meeting but this is about removal of president so please help out with this.

See FAQ #20. If the Bylaws provide that only the President may call a special meeting, I suppose you'll need to wait for the next regular meeting.

For future reference, this board generally works best if you post a new question as a new topic.

Archived