The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Discussion following a vote

Guest Tim

Is it possible to have discussion on an item AFTER a vote is taken on that same item. In other words, if one desired to explain his or her vote in more detail.

Thank you.

Certainly it is possible; but it definately is not in order. Debating a motion (which is what "explaining one's vote" amounts to) after the vote is taken serves no legitimate parliamentary purpose.

Edited to correct spelling error.

Is it possible to have discussion on an item AFTER a vote is taken on that same item. In other words, if one desired to explain his or her vote in more detail.

Thank you.

In a meeting, it's not in order. Outside a meeting, the member is not restricted from expounding his personal philosophies. I'm sure they're fascinating. :)

In a meeting, it's not in order. Outside a meeting, the member is not restricted from expounding his personal philosophies. I'm sure they're fascinating. :)

Good clarification. I assumed the OP was refering to explaining in a meeting. Certainly, what happens outside a meeting rarely is giverbed by parliamentary rules.

Prior to the vote, if a member feels that he/she needs to explain his/her vote, then the member should explain why. After the vote it would be too late. However, a member could ask for leave to explain. The only time I can possibly see where a member should be given an opportunity to speak after the vote would be in the case of a person who moves a motion. The member cannot speak against the motion during debate, but may vote against the motion.

Archived