The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Voting Issues

Guest Dan

We have a 7 Member Board of Directors (4 Officers, 3 Directors). Our President says he can not vote on any motions. Our Bylaws does not address this, but they do state the elected Officers and Directors constitute the Board of Directors. Is he correct that as President, he can not vote?

Also, does a Director or Officer have to give a reason for abstaining from voting on a motion?

Thanks!

Is he correct that as President, he can not vote?

Boy, if I had a nickel......

Actually, it's not that the President can't vote (or can only vote to break a tie, or whatever the silliness amounts to), it's that the presiding officer (often the President of the society, yes, but not always or necessarily) at the meeting refrains from voting except in the case of ballot votes and where his vote would affect the result, and even then only if he wants to. This is so he maintains the impression of impartiality needed to chair the meeting appropriately. In meetings of small boards (about a dozen or fewer members in attendance) the rules in RONR are relaxed and allow him to vote any and every time he wishes.

Since he is the one telling you this, you might ask him to show you the rule that says he can't vote. He might surprise you, but I doubt it.

Seeing that this is a seven member Board, it means that the Board may operate under the relaxed rules of RONR where seconds are not required and the presiding officer (The President I presume) can make motions, enter into debate, and vote on issues.

Under the more formal rules, normally used in larger meetings, the presiding officer, if a member, still has the right mentioned above, but normally refrains from doing so to give the appearance of neutrality. However, if the presiding officer's vote would affect the outcome or if the vote is by ballot, he/she will normally vote.

Archived