The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election to fill remaining term of President

jamesx3music

Good Afternoon,

In the condo association in which I am a board member, our president resigned. We just had elections to fill three positions. After the elections all board members received an e-mail regarding filling the presidents slot.and the need to fill it from our property management manager. He suggested the board appoint to the 5th open position a person he knows personally who had contacted him regarding the open board postion. This person was not part of the prior election process, he did not run. One other board member also suggested he knows the person as well and suggested we vote him in. My question is, we have two candidates that lost the earlier election and this other person who never ran. Should the board consider the two parties that ran to fill the void ? Was it proper for the association manager to suggest a candidate ? Is it proper for the other board member who knows this person and told me he did not submit his form to run to make sure two persons would be elected first but has now approached the board with an interest to fill this one position for the remaining one year?

Jim

Well, there is no reason why you cannot consider this other person. However, double check the By-laws for the condominium, plus any statute covering condominiums in your jurisdiction to make sure the Board has the power to appoint someone. However, if you have a Vice-President, that person is now the President and you have a vacancy for the position of Vice-President.

The property manager has a right to make a suggestion, just like anyone else. However, the Board is not bound to follow the manager's suggestion. While I would consider one of the two others who have shown an interest before in serving on the Board, unless the By-laws specifically state that only unsuccessful candidates can be considered to fill vacancies, this other person can be considered as long as he/she meets any qualifications to be on the Board.

RONR will allow any of the three to be appointed.

Good Afternoon,

In the condo association in which I am a board member, our president resigned. We just had elections to fill three positions. After the elections all board members received an e-mail regarding filling the presidents slot.and the need to fill it from our property management manager. He suggested the board appoint to the 5th open position a person he knows personally who had contacted him regarding the open board postion. This person was not part of the prior election process, he did not run. One other board member also suggested he knows the person as well and suggested we vote him in. My question is, we have two candidates that lost the earlier election and this other person who never ran. Should the board consider the two parties that ran to fill the void ? Was it proper for the association manager to suggest a candidate ? Is it proper for the other board member who knows this person and told me he did not submit his form to run to make sure two persons would be elected first but has now approached the board with an interest to fill this one position for the remaining one year?

Jim

Who did the electing (in the election you mention in your first sentence)? Was it the membership of the condo association? If the election was incomplete (i.e. not all open positions were filled) then that same electing body is responsible for completing the election.

Unless the bylaws give the board authority to appoint someone to the open position under these circumstances, all of these suggestions and concerns about what the board should do next may well be misplaced.

To clarify the timing -- did the president resign before or after the election? Also, under the rules in RONR, the vice president automatically becomes president upon the resignation of the president, so the mention of 'filling the president's slot' is confusing.

After the elections all board members received an e-mail regarding filling the presidents slot.and the need to fill it from our property management manager.

Jim

Why would you need to fill the president's slot? Don't you have a Vice President?

If so, that person became president, and it's now the office of vice-president that needs to be filled.

Archived