The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Does this motion pass, or fail?

Guest esmdr

I know this is probably out there in the FAQ's, but I can't find it right now, so wondering if someone would be so kind as to answer. Here's the scenario:

Four council members, One Mayor. Two council members are firemen, and we are voting on FD pensions. The two firemen abstain. The remaining three vote two yes, and one no. Does the motion pass, or do all three remaining voters need to vote yes since that is a majority of the 5 voters?

I know this is probably out there in the FAQ's, ...

Try FAQ 6, "Do abstention votes count?" at www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#6 . Does the council have a rle that specifies that a vote be a "majority of the members present" or "a majority of the entire membership"? Or ask Mary Whigham, since she's an acrobat now.

I know this is probably out there in the FAQ's, but I can't find it right now, so wondering if someone would be so kind as to answer. Here's the scenario:

Four council members, One Mayor. Two council members are firemen, and we are voting on FD pensions. The two firemen abstain. The remaining three vote two yes, and one no. Does the motion pass, or do all three remaining voters need to vote yes since that is a majority of the 5 voters?

Five voters? I only count three voters. Someone who has abstained from voting can hardly be called a "voter".

Archived