The Official RONR Q & A Forums

change of vote

Guest Susan McGraw

A member has asked to add an item to our next Trustee meeting agenda to allow her to change her vote for an item at our previous meeting. The motion/vote involved a nomination for a board member postion and she noted she would like to postpone to the next meeting because one member was not present. We DID have a quorum. Hers was the only dissenting vote. Now, she would like to change her vote and either change in the recorded minutes or add an agenda item to change her vote at the next meeting.

Thanks

Can't be done (i.e. changing one's vote after the fact). See RONR (11th ed.) pp. 408-409.

And, changing the minutes of a past meeting to make up something that didn't happen at that meeting is just nonsensical. The minutes are to be a true record of the business conducted.

And, I have to ask, out of idle curiosity -- if hers was a dissenting vote, does she now want to change her vote to appear to agree with the position she didn't agree with? What's the point? :unsure: .

If she wanted to change her vote she could have done so unilaterally up until the result was announced on that particular vote. After the result was announced she could have requested unanimous consent to change her vote up until the next item of business was taken up (if a member objected she could not change her vote). After the next item of business was taken up it is too late for her to change her vote. See RONR pp. 408-409.

A member has asked to add an item to our next Trustee meeting agenda to allow her to change her vote for an item at our previous meeting. The motion/vote involved a nomination for a board member postion and she noted she would like to postpone to the next meeting because one member was not present. We DID have a quorum. Hers was the only dissenting vote. Now, she would like to change her vote and either change in the recorded minutes or add an agenda item to change her vote at the next meeting.

Thanks

Can't be done (i.e. changing one's vote after the fact). See RONR (11th ed.) pp. 408-409.

And, changing the minutes of a past meeting to make up something that didn't happen at that meeting is just nonsensical. The minutes are to be a true record of the business conducted.

And, I have to ask, out of idle curiosity -- if hers was a dissenting vote, does she now want to change her vote to appear to agree with the position she didn't agree with? What's the point? :unsure: .

Thank you Trina and Chris. You referred to the same pages I had found, but I didn't know if I needed to check further or if this was the ultimate response. Sometimes, RONR is a bit more formal than to what I am accustomed. As to why this person wants to change her vote is unknown to me. But thanks again. :)

Archived