The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Table items of agenda to another specific date because out of time.

Guest Jane

As usual Tim is correct - the issues should not have been tabled. However, if they never came up for discussion, then they would fall under Unfinished Business at the next meeting. Only one main motion (i.e. one 'issue') should ever be tabled at one time, and only if there is an important issue that needs to be dealt with. And then once the other issue is delat with, the tabled motion is then once again before the assembly.

If you really wanted to have the issues dealt with at the last meeting, then you should not have consented to adjournment - either by objecting to a unanimous consent request to adjourn the meeting, or by voting against adjournment. Should a time for adjournment have been made, then you could have made a motion to "amend something previously adopted."

Only one main motion (i.e. one 'issue') should ever be tabled at one time, and only if there is an important issue that needs to be dealt with.

I agree that moving to Lay more than one item of Business On the Table at the time, is not in order; it is not out of order to have more than one item of business Laying on the Table at the same time, as long as each item of business were moved, individually.

See p. 363 ll. 28 - 31.

Archived