The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Paying other members dues

Guest Conrad P

I have a friend who's not all that interested in continuing his membership but I would like to keep his membership alive in case we need his vote. Can I just write a cheque for his membership on his behalf? Some members are complaining that this is illegal.

I have a friend who's not all that interested in continuing his membership but I would like to keep his membership alive in case we need his vote. Can I just write a cheque for his membership on his behalf? Some members are complaining that this is illegal.

Well, I can't speak to whether this is illegal (ask a lawyer about that), but it violates no rule in RONR to pay someone else's dues on his behalf. The important thing is that the dues are paid.

Bear in mind that by keeping him on the membership list, especially if he has no interest in remaining, there may be an undesirable affect on the quorum required for meetings (depending on what the bylaws say about this), and in cases where a majority of the entire membership is required to adopt a motion. Also, although you say you may need his vote, he may not feel so beholden to vote the way you would like just because he got a free ride on his dues.

As far as RONR is concerned, it does not matter who pays someone's membership dues. However, you raise an ethical question about keeping a person's membership up-to-date in order to have their vote. I would make sure it is okay with the person to do this (the person may not wish to remain a member) before even doing this.

Archived