The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Failure to follow the directive of a motion

Guest Debbie

What do you do when there is a motion that is passed unanimously by the board directing the president of the board to take a specific action and the president does not follow the directive, instead "does his/her own thing" in an attempt to get a different result?

Find a new president?

See FAQ #20.

Yes, but...

This appears to be a case where the board has instructed the president to do something, and the president (who is apparently of unknown gender ;) ) has failed to follow instructions. The board, in most of the organizations we encounter here, cannot exercise the FAQ #20 steps, as that is the domain of the general membership. Perhaps we could focus on what the board could do next, short of turning to the GM for help in throwing out the president.

[i apologize for not actually following my own instruction and providing some further information, but I'm in a rush...]

OK, returning to this topic, and after reading a bit in RONR, I'm under the impression that the board can't actually do very much in a formal sense, unless the bylaws explicitly give disciplinary power to the board.

In practice, the other board members could instruct the president (in case he./she simply does not realize that it is the president's job to carry out instructions given by the assembly). The board could give the instruction to another member who will carry it out (if that is feasible... it depends on what the instruction is). The board could adopt a motion to express its displeasure with the president for his/her malfeasance (although a motion to censure doesn't result in any direct consequence, and won't work if the president doesn't care about being scolded by his colleagues on the board).

Beyond that, I think you are into the realm of formal disciplinary procedure, which will typically require referring the matter to superior authority (i.e. the general membership which presumably elected the president).

If perchance the president is elected from within the board (in some organizations the general membership elects board members, and the board members then elect officers from among their number), the other board members might be able to rescind that internal election.

Archived