The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President had Exec. Director run board meeting.

Sally Jean

Our Board president inadvertantly asked the new Executive Director of our small organization to run the board meeting. She had discussed the agenda the day before with him and since he could not be at the meeting, asked her to officiate.

She did not vote on any motions, but the president was questioned as to why she was allowed to run the meeting..I think he just made a mistake, and as long as it does not happen again, and no issues were compromised, can we resume the next meeting without making a big production out of it and embarassing both the president and the new director? I have already told him he should not have done it according to bylaws. Thank you for any input... It is appreciated..

No one raised any question about her directing the meeting.

It was the next week when someone asked the president why he had the director run the meeting.

I knew she shouldn't, but didn't want to embarass her as she is new, doing a good job as director, and figured it could bde dealt with later..even the VP said nothing..he was there and should have run the meeting

I know it won't happen again with this president..I already informed him that he was wrong,when he told me someone questioned him about it..

I just want to be able to tell concerned individuals that nothing was compromised as she never voted, and just followed

agenda, asking for the committee reports and gave her own report..

So if someone brings it up tomorrow at the board meeting, I can say it is a moot subject because no one complained at the time??

Do the minutes stand? Can someone say the minutes are not correct because the person in the chair is not appropriate?

I know it won't happen again with this president..I already informed him that he was wrong,when he told me someone questioned him about it..

I just want to be able to tell concerned individuals that nothing was compromised as she never voted, and just followed

agenda, asking for the committee reports and gave her own report..

So if someone brings it up tomorrow at the board meeting, I can say it is a moot subject because no one complained at the time??

Do the minutes stand? Can someone say the minutes are not correct because the person in the chair is not appropriate?

The minutes should be a true report of what happened at the meeting. If the minutes mention that the executive director chaired the meeting, that would be a true report.

Note that the President doesn't have the authority (under RONR) to pre-select someone else to preside if he won't be present at a meeting. So, the president did goof -- not so much because of the particular person he picked, but by the very act of picking someone at all. In the absence of the President, it is the VP's job to preside. Failing that, it is the assembly's job to select someone to preside at the meeting.

Also, it is entirely possible (under RONR) for a non-member to chair a meeting... if that is what the assembly wants. Since the assembly accepted the executive director acting as presiding officer, the assembly tacitly approved what happened. It is definitely a moot point now.

Archived