The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Point of order objection

Guest Michael W

During a county commissioners meeting hearing testimony about zoning changes the chairman identified the representative of an applicant landowner to present his request for zoning changes. The landowners rep brought in another person representing the potential buyer of the property. Question: do i have the right to interupt and request the rep of the potential buyer not be allowed to present as the landowner/applicant?

I am not a member of the body, just a member of the public that was there to be involved in the meeting and offer input. Can I raise the objection after the fact and request in future meetings that the individual in question be identified properly and give his input under the proper time and be correctly identified?

I am not a member of the body, just a member of the public that was there to be involved in the meeting and offer input. Can I raise the objection after the fact and request in future meetings that the individual in question be identified properly and give his input under the proper time and be correctly identified?

Unless you are a member of the board, committee or comission conducting the hearing, there is nothing in Robert's that would give you authority to interupt anyone at this meeting.

You can only exercise the rights that are specifically granted to members of the public by the rules governing this body. RONR does not give you (a member of the public) any rights at all. If there is a public comment portion of the meeting, you could certainly raise your concerns then. You could also, perhaps, speak to members of the body after the meeting to explain your concerns.

Archived