The Official RONR Q & A Forums

entering into the minutes

Guest Walt Elliott

I sit on a church council. At a Council Meeting, the personnel committee chair presented a report of allegations of improper conduct by the Pastor. The, as of yet unapproved, minutes include these allegations. I understand that the minutes are to be a record of the business taken, e.g. giving a report. Is a separate motion needed for the content of the report to be entered into the minutes? Is the fact that the charges haven't been investigated relevant to this issue.

I sit on a church council. At a Council Meeting, the personnel committee chair presented a report of allegations of improper conduct by the Pastor. The, as of yet unapproved, minutes include these allegations. I understand that the minutes are to be a record of the business taken, e.g. giving a report. Is a separate motion needed for the content of the report to be entered into the minutes? Is the fact that the charges haven't been investigated relevant to this issue.

The minutes should state only that the report of the Personnel Committee was made by its chairman. The report itself should be entered in the minutes only if the assembly ordered that it be entered in the minutes. Otherwise, it is simply filed with the secretary.

I am on a BOD for an HOA. If minutes are used to simply state the action taken, then where are the notes, reports, discussion, etc held in corporate records? If none exist, what is the exposure to the Corp if decisions made and reflected in the minutes cause harm and the actions reflected are challanged?

Archived