The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Does the Chairman second things?

Guest Loose

I would assume that it is poor form for a Chairman to second a motion since he is supposed to be presenting the image of impartiality. I don't think Robert's says. My board is smaller than 12 so it's even more vague of a question seems to me since the Chair may vote. I know that seconding the motion does not mean you are in favor of it although it does get interpreted that way.

I find that whatever the Chair says is going to influence people's thinking and so you want to de-emphasize his point of view. What do YOU think?

By the way, if the President is not presiding, does he still have to refrain from voting (unless it's by ballot)?

I would assume that it is poor form for a Chairman to second a motion since he is supposed to be presenting the image of impartiality. I don't think Robert's says. My board is smaller than 12 so it's even more vague of a question seems to me since the Chair may vote. I know that seconding the motion does not mean you are in favor of it although it does get interpreted that way.

I find that whatever the Chair says is going to influence people's thinking and so you want to de-emphasize his point of view. What do YOU think?

By the way, if the President is not presiding, does he still have to refrain from voting (unless it's by ballot)?

In a small board, seconds are not needed. The chair refrains from discussion except in small boards and committees so the chair may debate and vote in your board barring some special rule you have. The chair should refrain from voting in non-small meetings except by ballot or to break a tie.

... And the rules about appearance of partiality apply only to the chairman -- the presiding officer -- no one else (like the president who is somehow not presiding). Influence? ... perhaps people should learn to think for themselves. Robert's Rules implies that they should. (Except maybe where the president appointing the nominating committee or serving on it is concerned.)

I would assume that it is poor form for a Chairman to second a motion since he is supposed to be presenting the image of impartiality.

The Chair should never second a motion. In small board meetings, seconds aren't required. In larger assemblies, it's not his to do anyway, as you noted.

My board is smaller than 12 so it's even more vague of a question seems to me since the Chair may vote.

What does the ability to vote have to do with the ability to second a motion? The Chair always retains the right to vote, he just doesn't exercise it under certain circumstances.

I know that seconding the motion does not mean you are in favor of it although it does get interpreted that way.

Yes, but if everyone would read RONR, particularly the section on seconding a motion, that misconception would vanish.

Well, since you asked, I think persuasive people can come at you from any angle, with or without title or booming voice or pounding fist. It's just as easy for the masses to cower to the soft-but-rarely-spoken guy in the corner as it is to the Chair. Those who would vote as they are "told to" should have stayed home. (Okay, not really. They should vote how they truly feel, as is their duty) As for de-emphasizing the Chair's point of view, I'm fine with that as long as all other members' points of view are equally de-emphasized.

No, not according to RONR.

Archived