The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board of Director meetings - are just for the Board of Directors?

vadare12

Our Association holds monthly board meetings, which are open to the membership. On the Agenda for each meeting there is a space for property owner "comments". The Chair states at the beginning of the property owner comments that this is "the boards meeting" and not the property owners meeting and that he will only take comments - no questions allowed. He further states that if a property owner has a question, they can put it in writing and mail it. I can't find anything in our By-Laws that addresses this matter (that there won't be any property owner questions taken, except by mail) so I wondered if RONR addresses this? Thank you.

What makes the board meetings 'open to the membership'? Has the board granted permission? Is there a rule in the bylaws?

Any permission for general members to attend or participate in board meetings would have to come from your own rules. As far as RONR is concerned, nonmembers (of the body that is meeting) have no rights at all.

Sounds like a custom - I know of other organizations, especially condominiums. There will be a brief "Comment Forum" where owners can bring up issues that they have and have not had addressed. Non-members do not have rights at a meeting, and as this is a Board meeting only Board members have the right to attend. Thus, the President is correct. However, the Board - by majority vote - could allow owners to ask questions during this period of time if they choose, unless the By-laws state otherwise.

I'll have to sift back through our By-Laws and get the exact wording because I don't know the answers to your questions but I assumed that all the meetings of board directors were open to the membership?

No, according to RONR, board meetings are not open to anyone but board members. And if the board decides to allow others to attend, that does not give them the right to speak. And if they are afforded an opportunity to speak, the board may regulate it as it sees fit. Note that it is the board, and not the president that has the authority to decide such matters.

Your bylaws, however, may contain other provisions that supersede the rules in RONR, so yes, you probably will have to sift through the bylaws for the exact wording.

Archived