The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting Minutes

Guest Robert

Our Board is about to vote on a controversial topic. I will vote against the motion. I have written a one page summary explaining why I oppose passing the motion. If the motion passes, can I insist that my negative vote be included in the meeting minutes along with my opposing summary? Normally we would just document that the motion was passed.

If the motion passes, can I insist that my negative vote be included in the meeting minutes along with my opposing summary?

No. You can ask, but don't get your hopes up. You can make some sort of motion to do so, which should probably be voted down (in my opinion). Your best shot is to speak against the motion, reading your summary (if it doesn't exhaust your time to speak) hoping to persuade others to your viewpoint, and then vote against it when the time comes and hope for the best.

Normally we would just document that the motion was passed.

There's a lot to be said for normal.

Our Board is about to vote on a controversial topic. I will vote against the motion. I have written a one page summary explaining why I oppose passing the motion. If the motion passes, can I insist that my negative vote be included in the meeting minutes along with my opposing summary? Normally we would just document that the motion was passed.

No, you can't insist.

And in my view, including in the minutes a summary of why you oppose a motion, after the vote, is purely pointless.

If you have strong opinions on the motion, the time to make them known is during debate on the motion, when your reasons, if persuasive, could conceivably do some good. That is, after all, what debate is for. It is the whole point of having debate in the first place.

Once the vote is taken, the time for debate is over, and the reasons anyone voted the way they did are immaterial.

You could ask for a roll call - thus everyone who will know how you and every other Board member voted. By default, it takes a majority vote to hols a roll call, but if the issue is controversial, it might be the best option.

Otherwise, you may ask for your negative vote to be mentioned in the Minutes, but not the reason why. The Board is free to accept this or not. However, you could also do your summary in the form of a letter addressed to the Board stating why you disagreed with this issue (especially if the motion passes.)

Archived