The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removing a president

Guest Concerned Citizen

Guest Concerned Citizen

A small town non-profit has had a person elected to the board and named president who turned out to be completely destructive to the organization and community. No one realized this would be the case. The board simply supervises a small town facility; they do not know if by-laws/constitution exists, many old board members have passed away, taking the history of the board with them. The current president has made decisions that would be changes to by-laws (if any exist), that are clearly conflict of interest situations, are deliberate lapses in communication and transparency, and there is highly questionable accounting. He has also eliminated all board members except his own crones including one board member who is only 15. He has alienated the membership and then stacked the membership with acquaintances and shirt-tail relatives that live nowhere near the local community and don't even realize they belong to this organization. Is it true that RRO does not allow for a "vote of non-confidence"? If not, how does the membership, at the AGM, bring forward a motion or resolution to depose this president?

A prompt response would be appreciated. The AGM is next week.

Two strikes (all against you, I fear):

1 - No bylaws: without them you don't have much of anything to appeal to.

2 - I gather this is some sort of municipal association - you had best talk to the town lawyer to see if any local laws apply, that you can fall back on with no (or lost) bylaws.

3 - (A bonus strike): With no bylaws how do you define or know who are the "members" who are meeting next week?

RONR Chapter 20 describes how to unload a president, but it is heavy going and assumes you have bylaws in hand.

There is no such motion as a "vote of non-confidence" under RONR although the closest probably is a motion to censure but that will be of little help to you all since adopting a motion of censure carries no disciplinary powers besides putting the President on notice that the Membership isn't happy with him.

Normally I would suggest you read FAQ #20 but that might not be helpful since you all don't know if there are any bylaws or constitution. However, do you all have access to the minutes of the Board and Membership meetings? If so, assuming that the minutes were taken correctly they should show the original bylaws and any amendments adopted if there are any (though you probably would have to read through all of the minutes in the history of the organization/Board since the bylaws and amendments would be located in the minutes of the individual meeting that it was adopted).

Further, I would suggest you contact the body which gave the organization their non-profit status to see if they have a copy of the bylaws (I believe many states require that the bylaws and any amendments be submitted to them-so ask them about it). If the body doesn't have a copy of the bylaws and you all can't find them by looking though the minutes ask the body if there is any way under the non-profit laws to depose the President even though you don't know what the bylaws say on the subject. I am sure that they have had to deal with this sort of thing in the past so if you explain the situation maybe they can help you all get out of it.

Archived