The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board of Director not allowed to nominate at nomination meeting

Guest Terry Morgan

I am one of the board of directors at a social club. At our last nomination meeting for new board of directorsr to be held in June, I raised my hand to nominate a person when vp who was taking nominations from the floor said that I could not nominate anyone. The other board of directors wanted to nominate people also but after I was told I could not the others did not either. Was he correct in doing so?

Probably not, but there are times when it would be improper to make a nomination such as if nominations had been closed, you had already nominated someone and were trying to nominate someone else when there were members who hadn't made their first nomination yet wishing to do so, or if you were trying to make more nominations than positions available (such as there only being 2 Board seats open and you tried to nominate a third person). Did any of those happen?

If this was a general membership meeting, and if you are a general member, you have the same right as any other member to make a nomination from the floor. The fact that you are also a board member certainly does not take away your normal membership rights.

It is true that the board (as a body) does not exist at a general membership meeting; but that doesn't mean you can't participate in the meeting in your capacity as a general member.

I am one of the board of directors at a social club. At our last nomination meeting for new board of directorsr to be held in June, I raised my hand to nominate a person when vp who was taking nominations from the floor said that I could not nominate anyone. The other board of directors wanted to nominate people also but after I was told I could not the others did not either. Was he correct in doing so?

This sounds like a good time for a Parliamentary Inquiry to find out why the VP said this. Heck, you could even have just asked him "why". I think it's water over the bridge at this point.

They all were nominated by other members who wrote letters of nomination for them. So they do have nominations now. When I asked the Vp why I could not nominate he replied because I was on the board. It struck me as odd. I am going to bring it up at our very soon to be board of directs meeting. I was curious to know if the nomination meeting was non valid because of this.

I agree that it is "odd". As a general member you have as much right to nominate as anybody else. I suppose you still can, next meeting. Or write a nominating letter yourself.

If the VP continues making up rules out of whole cloth, ask him to show you where it is written as an adopted rule. (Hint: It won't be in RONR.)

The nomination meeting was most likely valid -- the time to raise a point of order was when you were first denied the opportunity to nominate. Too late, with respect to that occasion.

Just try again.

Archived