The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion to limit names on ballot

Guest Pastor Gary

What restrictions does RROONR place on a motion to limit the number of names on succeeding ballots? (I have observed, at several district assemblies (church conventions) the chairman rule that a motion to eliminate names from the immediately imminent ballot cannot be made, stating that such limits can only be made on the following ballot). The only relevant item I can find prohibits the changing of ballots already distributed.

So, for example, following a report of the chairman of the board of tellers (which shows that, of five names on the ballot, the top three each have approximately 25-30% of the vote and the lowest two split the other 15%) is it legal to move to limit the number of names to the top three?

Thanks for your assistance.

Is it legal to move to limit the number of names to the top three?

Yes but it would take Suspending the Rules (2/3 vote) or adopting a Special Rule of Order (2/3 vote if previous notice was given or a majority of the entire membership if notice wasn't given) in order to do so (RONR p. 441 ll. 5-8 and footnote).

Yes but it would take Suspending the Rules (2/3 vote) or adopting a Special Rule of Order (2/3 vote if previous notice was given or a majority of the entire membership if notice wasn't given) in order to do so (RONR p. 441 ll. 5-8 and footnote).

The cited footnote reads as though only the last place finisher could be dropped, suggesting you can only thin the field one candidate at a time, not by two as Pastor Gary asks. Is that a fair reading, or am I picking too close to that nit?

Archived