The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Why parentheses on p. 573, lines 31-33?

jstackpo

The referenced lines (new to the 11th) close a (little) gap in leadership implicit in the sample bylaws on p. 585.

Good.

But why are they in parentheses? Seems to me that the sentence in question is just as important as the surrounding ones.

Some special meaning I am not getting?

Yes, the sentence in question is important, but it is simply a parenthetical aside in the midst of the paragraph's discussion of things which should be prescribed in the bylaws,

• 11 months later...
Guest Randyl Kent Plampin

Greetings:

"...footnote allotment..."

I must admit I was astonished at this comment. After this occurrence I see additional footnotes on pages 580, 611, 621, 622, 623, 624, 643, 645, 651, 652, 654, 658, 659, 661, and 664. I take the comment as meaning that the publisher limited the total number of footnotes and that this particular occurrence on page 573 basically "took the hit" on behalf of the entire work. Using a modern desktop publishing package such as QuickSilver (previously known as Interleaf) the gentlemen would have encountered no such restrictions. Unless this is somehow a secret, I would be very pleased to know the name of the publishing system used to create this book.

Best regards,

Randyl Kent Plampin

Given that there is a winky emoticon at the end of Mr. Gerber's response I think it is reasonable to infer that he was speaking in jest.

I thought Mr. Plampin was joking too but I see he has translated earlier editions of Robert's Rules into Spanish and Portuguese so his question may have been sincere. Or not. In any event, the translations might be worth noting the next time someone asks if Robert's Rules are available in other languages (with the caveat that the translations are not "authorized" nor are they of the current edition).

2nHbFD

Greetings:

"...footnote allotment..."

I must admit I was astonished at this comment. After this occurrence I see additional footnotes on pages 580, 611, 621, 622, 623, 624, 643, 645, 651, 652, 654, 658, 659, 661, and 664. I take the comment as meaning that the publisher limited the total number of footnotes and that this particular occurrence on page 573 basically "took the hit" on behalf of the entire work. Using a modern desktop publishing package such as QuickSilver (previously known as Interleaf) the gentlemen would have encountered no such restrictions. Unless this is somehow a secret, I would be very pleased to know the name of the publishing system used to create this book.

Best regards,

Randyl Kent Plampin

We'll have to get you a copy of the book that includes proper versions of pages 615, 666, and the tinted pages.

Archived