The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Preparation of Minutes

Guest Ctruitt

I am a staff member in my organization, but do not attend board meetings. Board meeting minutes are recorded by another staff member of my organzation, rather than the secretary. I was asked by the other staff member (who does attend the meetings) to type up the minutes. I do not feel comfortable with taking on this task as I did not attend the meeting, and cannot attest to their accuracy. Do I have standing to give this task back to the other staff person?

You don't have to "attest" to anything - just type what the attending staffer gives you.

It will be up to the members at the meeting to suggest appropriate corrections - they can blame the attending staffer if they are unhappy. Or, more appropriately, blame the Secretary who is the responsible party, actually. A bit of that and the board will be telling the secretary how to do his job!

You don't have to "attest" to anything - just type what the attending staffer gives you.

But this doesn't answer Guest_Ctruitt's question. S/he obviously feels uncomfortable in being asked to produce the minutes of the board, of which I presume s/he is not even a member.

And Guest_Ctruitt --- why isn't the regular staff member typing them up? Or for that matter the Secretary?

This deals more with employee relations. But basically, according to RONR you do not have to do the Minutes, but check your job descriptions as well as the other employee's authority. If the other staff member has no authority over your job then you do not have to accept the responsibility unless your job description states that you are to help with the Minutes.

Archived