The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session

Guest David

The person can certainly ask, but the Board need not agree at least according to RONR. However, if the request is polite, I personally see no reason why it should not be accepted.

You mean, someone off the street walks in, asks the Board to go into executive session to hear something the stranger wants to say, and the board should agree... (provided the request is polite, of course)...? Really?

No - the Board does not have to go into Executive Session. My point is that if someone is going to be adressing the Board and they politely ask for the meeting to be in Executive Session the Board really has no reason to refuse, although they certainly can if they really wnated to refuse. And my reading of the original post was that it was about someone who was supposed to be addressing the Board, not someone who walked off the street.

You mean, someone off the street walks in, asks the Board to go into executive session to hear something the stranger wants to say, and the board should agree...

My point is that if someone is going to be adressing the Board and they politely ask for the meeting to be in Executive Session the Board really has no reason to refuse . . .

As I read the original question, the guest was not asking the board to go into executive session. The board was already meeting in executive session and David was asking if that made a difference.

As I read the original question, the guest was not asking the board to go into executive session. The board was already meeting in executive session and David was asking if that made a difference.

I'm not sure Guest_David is using the term "executive session" to mean what we know it to mean. He might be, I'm just not sure. It almost seems he's using it simply to refer to a meeting of the Executive (Board) as opposed to a "Public Forum." Perhaps he'll come back one day and check in.

Archived