The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election of Officers

Guest Charlene

We have one nominee for each office. Nominations are closed and there are no nominations from the floor at the general meeting (Bylaws). The Nominating Committee Chairman will present the nominees and the position. How does the President conduct the election? I know it can be done by unanimous consent, acclamation; but I want to use the correct wording/procedure.

So, after the Nominating Chairman presents the Nominees, the president then states -

"Since there is but one nominee for each office, it is delcared by acclamation, Fred Smith - President, Jane Smith - First Vice President, etc. Congratulations to our new Officers for 2012-2014."

Should anything else be said to the membership making it more official?

So, after the Nominating Chairman presents the Nominees, the president then states -

"Since there is but one nominee for each office . . .

Whoa!

After the nominating committee makes its report, the chair asks if there are any nominations from the floor. If there are none, and if the bylaws don't require a ballot vote (or if the assembly doesn't opt for a ballot vote) then, and only then, can the chair declare any sole nominees elected by acclamation.

• 2 weeks later...

If a ballot is required could it be done by a motion similar to: "I move we suspend the rules and vote by acclimation by the secretary casting one vote for Joe Citizen for the office of President."

No, not really. The (antiquated) procedure of having the secretary cast one ballot at the direction of the assembly is not the same thing as a vote by ballot. If the bylaws require a vote by ballot, that bylaw cannot be suspended, and you must conduct a vote by ballot (the real thing, not the one-ballot-from-the-secretary ceremony).

'Whenever a vote is to be taken by ballot, it is out of order to move that one person -- the secretary, for example -- cast the ballot of the assembly.' (RONR 11th ed. p. 413 ll. 10-12)

Archived