The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Retracting a vote

Guest Vicki

We had our board meeting on Wednesday night and voted on which uniform company we were going to go with. One of our board members decided to send out an email to all the board members making a motion to re-vote on the uniforms. Another board member seconded it. I need to know if once a vote has been made and it's in our minutes, can you retract the vote and vote again?

Thank you!!

Well... you can't do ANY business via e-mail unless your bylaws authorize it (and supply procedural details).

Do they?

At the next (real, in-person) meeting of the Board any member can move to rescind the "uniform company" motion, if such is what he had in mind. Or amend the motion to change the particular company selected, if that is what he has in mind.

See pp. 305 ff. for important details.

At the next meeting (not in between meetings by e-mail) any member can move to Rescind the adopted motion. This doesn't mean the previous vote is retracted or that the minutes should be changed in any way. See RONR (11th ed.) pp. 305-310 for details on Rescind.

Also, you can only rescind a motion to the extent that it has not yet been carried out.

So, you mentioned that you can only rescind a motion to the extent that it has not yet been carried out......in my case, I have already contacted the uniform company that we decided to go with and told them they were awarded the bid, we have not ordered the uniforms yet, but I already notified him. Does that fall under "that it has not yet been carried out"?

That sounds like "carried out" to me.

The motion said "Do it" and you did. (Commendable efficiency, I should add. Would that folks I worked with in the past had the same...)

Whether you can "undo" your contact informing the company that you were planning to order their uniforms is a legal question. We don't do "legal" here.

Archived