The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Anna

Please provide your opinion on this because I know I will see this

brought up again in my organization:

I made a motion to remove a sentence from the minutes

and use RONR 10th edition (the edition they use per bylaws) and stated

among other reasons that minutes contain a record of what was done at the meeting,

not what was said by the members. p 451 l. 27-29 and therefore

want some (inflamatory) words that were said to be removed from the minutes.

On this point the counter argument is to say that if minutes are "published" they can keep

it in and they quote "In an ordinary society, unless the minutes are to be published,

they should contain mainly a record of what was done at the meeting, not what was said...."

RONR (10th ed) p 451 lines 25-28

Question (1) Does the word "published" in RONR 10th ed on p 451 refer to that which is

distributed to the public at large for distribution (as for governmental bodies)?

Question (2 ) Or does "published" in RONR refer to anything a society (one with rules for membership) decides to print up and give their members?

My thinking is "published" as used by RONR does NOT mean anything and everything once

printed up and sent to members, no matter how many members, is "published" ;

but that instead "published" in RONR is a term that refers to making records available to

the general public (through for example distributing it via notices in newspapers and

not restricting nonmember access to records/minutes as per their state law)

I have the 11th edition, but the nonprofit corporation in this matter uses RONR 10th edition.

(thankfully the words were removed, but I need other viewpoints since this is going to come up

again at future meetings when they want to keep in objectionable sentences or words) :o

Yes, because the exception for "published minutes" has been struck from what is now p. 468, lines 15-19. (Was on p. 451 in 10th) And the A-team left an extra unnecessary comma behind on line 17.

Granted, the minutes contain whatever the assembly wants, but the elimination of "published" here gives Guest Anna a good debating point.

"Published" will, also of course mean whatever the society wants it to mean.

Yes, because the exception for "published minutes" has been struck from what is now p. 468, lines 15-19. (Was on p. 451 in 10th) And the A-team left an extra unnecessary comma behind on line 17.

Granted, the minutes contain whatever the assembly wants, but the elimination of "published" here gives Guest Anna a good debating point.

"Published" will, also of course mean whatever the society wants it to mean.

The comma belongs where it is; and see page 475, line 266ff.

Archived